Behringer iNUKE vs decent Class D

Lighty

Hi folks,

I've got to buy some power amps in the near future and I need minimum 8x 1000W into 4ohm, they need to be light and 1U/2U. Built-in DSP is not required.

Question is, do I spend a decent amount on Powersoft M50Q [£4000 for 2 approx?] or take a Pepsi Challenge on the iNUKE6000 when it comes out [£1250 for 4 approx?]. I understand that the outputs are different on these 2 amps [1250W compared to 3000w] but is it really possible to spend a fraction of the amount and get the same result? Even if these iNUKE amps run at half their rated output [and I suspect that they will struggle to do that], I'm getting similar power to the Powersoft.

My guess is that the corners cut will actually be related to sound quality and therefore presume that the iNUKE is going to sound very nasty compared to a main brand Class D, but could anyone who gets the chance to compare let me know his/her thoughts?

Purchase time will be in approx 2-3 months and the other links in the chain are EAW boxes with BSS drive.

Is it install or touring?

Remember one of the key attractions of the Powersoft amps is their weight. This is great if you're touring but not really an issue in the install market!

If install, I actually think it's worth having a try with the iNukes. It's an exceptional value for money, and just because they're Behringer it doesn't mean they'll struggle to kick out even half their rated output. Remember, Behringer have used funds made during the home/project-studio era to continue that stuff, as well as, rather than developing their own stuff, buying out other brands to use technologies that have been developed there. For instance, their most recent desks and outboard have had the advantage of being 'designed' since the MIDAS / Klark Teknik takeover. So with the Behringer you won't get a Heritage 3000 in a grey box at 1% of the price, but you will get a desk where they've at least had access to the schematics and the production line of the Heritage 3000 and can analyse it. Obviously, Behringer would never re-brand an H3000 and sell it on the cheap, as they'd lose their actual H3000 sales.

So I would actually take faith in them and give them a try. If they don't kick out what they're supposed to, send them back. If they do work properly, you win. On install, a lot of what makes Powersoft good is lost anyway (such as weight, road-worthiness etc). Behringer has changed in recent years and their products don't really fail more than any other company in the same price range. Everyone knows somebody who's Behringer desk / EQ / Compressor etc has died after 3 weeks, but oddly enough nobody has ever had it happen to them...

if I remember correctly (im probably not) but I had a very interesting conversation with forum member Rob Beech about what could possibly be this amp? when he dropped off a rig I hired from him.

I may well be going doolally though!

Not in quite the same class I know but in reference to Behringer amp quality I bought and EPQ2000 a couple of months ago, based in part on recomends here and in part on the stupid price. It's lightweight and rugged. it's been up stairs, down lifts through car parks and in pubs and been given a fair amount of stick. it's never grumbled once and I wish I had bought two because it is half the weight of my monitor amp. it works in steps rather than being truly variable volume (you can feel the notched steps as you turn the gain) but the steps are even and close together so that isn't a problem. However even though they down rated it's performance in the literature the published performance is a still a little optomistic - only a little though. the ONLY problem I have had with it is that in the first rack I mounted it in, the IEC connector seemed to work it's way loose and it doesn't feel quite as sure when connecting power as others do. that said in it's present rack I haven't had any problem.

I have a repair workshop and use gear myself, I own lots of Behringer stuff and it always works well UNTIL it goes wrong, then you are on your own, Behringer do not supply spares or schematics you have to send it back. If you want top performance reasonable price with reasonable weight (7kg) try the Crown XTI range I have a 4000 it gives 3.2kw. A few years back Crown amps were regarded as the best but I don't know how they are regarded these days. I had a query and got prompt help online. By the way the XTI's have standard output stages with a switchmode power supply so they are not quite as light as full class D amps.

Regards

Kevin

• 10 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect an old one rather than start a fresh topic.

Anybody got any real world experience with the inuke's yet?

I'm fed up of carrying around my Yamaha PC2602's. Anybody who's used these will know just what a brick they are (26kg). They're nice rock solid amplifiers though, and apart from scratchy pots and my back to think about, there's nothing actually wrong with them. I tend to carry at least 2 of the Yamaha amps around in separate cases, and the appeal of getting 2 new amplifiers in the same flightcase and still weighing about half the weight of one of my existing amps, is very tempting!

So, are they worth considering? I suspect these Yamaha amps will keep just working forever, which is something I'm not so sure about with the Behringers. Not convinced that a heavyweight old fashioned amp can be beaten on the reliability stakes just yet by digital.

Anybody got any thoughts on the 2602's while I'm here? Are they a bit of a gem that should be kept hold of, or are they just another old heavy amp?

Cheers all

Ok, not the iNuke Specifically, but I've had a Thomann TSA 4-700 for the last couple of weeks on one of my systems and it's just cracking! 11kg, 4ch at about 500w 8Z per channel and it's been faultless.

I run it with a DCX2496 before it. It does distort if pushed into clip and has no onboard limiter, I limit it down on the DCX and all is good.

Josh

... but I've had a Thomann TSA 4-700 for the last couple of weeks on one of my systems and it's just cracking! 11kg, 4ch at about 500w 8Z per channel and it's been faultless.

I have the d4-500 and that has died, and replaced under warranty. Someone on FB had one go DC on him...

Must say, though, the amp is nice on my back!

Archived