Yamaha Drum Machine Aux Problem

leejlight

I have a Yamaha DD-65 drum machine and I bought a aux lead so I can connect my ipod etc. Ive been using it for a couple of weeks now but recently its been playing up. The sound from my ipod only comes out of the right earphone, if I play the machine, the sound is distributed to both ears. I tried changing to my ipod earphones, yet the sound is perfect when playing the machine but the music now comes out of the left earphone. I have tried using another aux lead but still have the same problem.

There must be a problem with the machine itself, any ideas?

Ipod sockets are a bit nonstandard, they have 2 ring terminals on the jack and the "ground" terminal is on the 2nd ring rather than the sleeve where it normally is. This can make a normal stereo jack cable behave oddly. Sometimes pulling it out a bit can make it work. You can get adaptors to convert a 4-pole ipod jack to a normal 3-pole stereo jack.

If you already have an ipod cable with 4 terminals it must be another problem, ignore my ramblings.

Im sure the problem lies within the aux port on the machine. My jack only has 2 terminals, its only a cheap one I bought off ebay.

I tried taking a look inside the machine earlier but struggled to actually get it off, it was almost cracking when I was trying to lift it off. I didn't want to risk damaging the whole machine so gave up. Isn't it weird how it just suddenly stops working?

My jack only has 2 terminals, its only a cheap one I bought off ebay.

That'll be the problem then, assuming you mean it only has tip / sleeve and not tip / ring sleeve (2 black lines on the jack)

Any of the cables on this site will do the trick, and delivery is pretty quick too...

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/3.5mm-audio-cables-headphone-extension-cables/

If however you mean it has 2 terminals and ground, then unfortunately I don't know, other than to say my own Yamaha DTXplorer Drum Brain has no problems with iPods and a cable from the above site.

To expand on Drummer Johnny's post (and help avoid any confusion), which of the connectors in this picture do you have (ignore the size)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Photo-audiojacks.jpg

The two at the left of the picture are mono jacks - if you're using one of these, then I'd expect the problems you're mentioned. The two on the right side can be used for stereo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is the input unbalanced stereo, unbalanced mono, or balanced mono?

Is your cable 1/8" TRS on one end and 1/4" TRS on the other end?

Aux lead: Not a term that is in common use, thus we don't know what it means.

Jack = female connector.

Plug = male connector.

I tried my Yamaha headphones and my apple ipod earphones and the sound did switch sides (came out the right ear on Yamaha and left on ipod earphones) and yes I did have the earphones in the correct ear before you ask!

Although I did borrow a ipod lead from a friend and it worked perfectly. I should invest in a better quality lead. Any suggestions where I could purchase this?

Archived