Trantec Beltpack Connections?

Pete Alcock

Hi all,

I need to put a 3.5mm jack plug on a standard 2-wire electret lav for a local Church who use a Trantec S4.4 beltpack. Original mic has gone missing.

Have found (from the Trantec site) that the Pinout is Tip - Audio, Ring and Sleeve - Ground.

What it doesn't say however is whether this is just for a guitar lead, or anything about the bias for the electret. I'd have called TOA, but they've gone home now.

Does anybody have a definitive pinout for S4.4, indicating what needs to be linked to what (for different applications) and if the bias is already on the Audio?

It could be the same as Sennheiser I suppose, but then "assumption is the mother of all ######-ups".

Thanks as always,

Pete.

Don't know the exact pinout, but do know that the cheepie CPC mics, and the senn ME2 mics will work on both the senn packs, and the 4.4 packs so it would suggest the wiring is the same.

infact, can also add that the £3 lavs from cpc that come on a mono 3.5mm also work ok.

Hi all,

I need to put a 3.5mm jack plug on a standard 2-wire electret lav for a local Church who use a Trantec S4.4 beltpack. Original mic has gone missing.

Have found (from the Trantec site) that the Pinout is Tip - Audio, Ring and Sleeve - Ground.

What it doesn't say however is whether this is just for a guitar lead, or anything about the bias for the electret. I'd have called TOA, but they've gone home now.

Does anybody have a definitive pinout for S4.4, indicating what needs to be linked to what (for different applications) and if the bias is already on the Audio?

It could be the same as Sennheiser I suppose, but then "assumption is the mother of all ######-ups".

Thanks as always,

Pete.

Hi Pete

I used to convert lapel mics to Shure (mini XLR) and Sony (Lemo) belt packs and via a visa not to sure on Trantec ones but I know you should have ground a bias and an audio on the belt pack. If it was me I'd check to see if there was a voltage on ring or tip relative to sleeve. As for biasing the mic it can be as simple as shorting the the audio in and the bias. You can get a hum on the signal sometimes so it a case of adding a resistor from bias to signal in. Hope this helps. Stu

Pete

The S4 series Trantec supply the capsule bias to the audio line within the beltpack. Audio to tip, Screen to ring and sleeve will work fine with any 2 wire electret capsules. The mic/guitar selection is a switch in the battery compartment.

Brian

Archived