Standard lamp hire

andylights

Whitelight, 10outof10 should be able to help you

10outof10 has been the cheapest place I have seen (I did that little bit of research about 6 months ago, so still should be true)

(Just a note, this advice has been gathered from other posts here on the BR, as im not in the UK!)

But then again I would imagine most large hire places should have an ample lamp stock, I know mine do.

I suspect that Ashley made the same mistake I did when I read the title.

"Standard lamp hire" sounds like "Where can I hire the types of lamps that we normally use?" rather than "Where can I hire the lights that you find in drawing rooms at the end of the sofa so that you can read without turning the main ceiling lights on?"

Certainly seems that a prop hire company would be the best source.

I suspect that Ashley made the same mistake I did when I read the title.

"Standard lamp hire" sounds like "Where can I hire the types of lamps that we normally use?" rather than "Where can I hire the lights that you find in drawing rooms at the end of the sofa so that you can read without turning the main ceiling lights on?"

Certainly seems that a prop hire company would be the best source.

I read it as, where can I get Lamps (T 26/27, MSD 250/2 etc. etc.) that are for theater use.

Didn't even think, that is was referring to D0mest1c fixtures that were stage friendly. even after re-reading it just now still doesn't quite click in my mind that this post was refering to a prop light......

Don't they still sell retro styled standard lamps? Alternatively get your prop department to scour the house clearance companies shops or marketplaces for nice looking lights then make them electrically safe.

In many instances it's the shade that is the most significant variation in these things, and that should be easy enough to find.

There were two abominable retro standard lamps in my flat when I moved in, including the type with the sections of carpet up the stem. :blink:

even after re-reading it just now still doesn't quite click in my mind that this post was refering to a prop light......

Ashley

in the UK, the mention of a Standard Lamp would generally conjure up an image like this

http://www.robertthompsons.co.uk/images/products/GS05.jpg

HTH

Cheers

Smiffy

Edit to add:

Andy, you might want to try the National Theatre. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Prop Hire department had hundreds of the things http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/hires

Cheers

S

Try David Fitch, he has hundreds of practicals like this.

www.davidfitchservices.com

Les

Does anyone know of a hire company that keeps a stock of (stage friendly) Standard lamps?

A quantity is required, perhaps 8-10... all different..

Was it Amy Whinehouse that did that?

Thanks,

Andy

I think it was Adele that had a set with loads of standard lamps recently, although Amy Housewine may well have done as well earlier though. Its a nice idea - and one I have wanted to do for a while, along with giant anglepoises!

• 1 year later...

If you need anything similar in the future, have a look at www.furnitureprophirelondon.co.uk

Does anyone know of a hire company that keeps a stock of (stage friendly) Standard lamps?

A quantity is required, perhaps 8-10... all different..

Was it Amy Whinehouse that did that?

Thanks,

Andy

Archived