budget cable hoist suggestion

synlights

hi guys,

in my venue we have multiple steal cables hanging from the ceiling from which we hang inflatable stars.. what we'd really like to do is motorise these hanging cables so we can higher and lower them... they'll never hold anything heavier than a 30cm mirrorball so weight isnt to much of a problem.. we'd like them to be controllable independently... seen as we have no experience in this area, were wondering if you guys could point us in the right direction ...

P.S we dont have a huge budget

For a simple solution, if they are never going to lift anything of any weight, could you not use some pulleys and lines?

agreed, this is the cheap way. only problem with rope is you then need to send somebody up in the roof to get the rope off the floor before the show starts.

some GP electric winches will probably be the way, entertainment-based hoists (IE lodestars) will be far too expensive with the smallest models costing about £1k each.

If you have the space to locate it a central winding point and cams would allow them all to change height "randomly" without too much cost else your looking at something with multiple motors - I would look at grouping the stars and having 3 or 4 sets - reducing the number of devices required - if truely light weight - someting non industry may work like garage door openers - with limiters, but to do it properly you are looking at stage automation rigging and silly money

Does it have to move over the audience, or is it a move to setup before the night starts?

both

That rules out a cheap and cheerful scaff-hoist imo. Sorry to be the voice of doom, but realistically if you're on a tight budget I suspect it probably rules out anything you can afford.

How about electric builders' hoists? Machine Mart do them, or there are plenty on ebay like this: My link

I wouldn't recommend this type of thing in your application, the cable gets tangled up really easily especially if the load isn't very heavy, and the pickle (up/down switch) is on a short cable. Also on the ones we had the limit/safety switch did not operate reliably when the load got to the top.

It's true that they need a bit of weight on them to wind properly, but most come with a built-in weighted hook which also acts as the catcher for the upper limit switch. The pickle is easy to extend with 4 way mains flex. For a decorative star a bit of random rotation might be tolerable. It's a bit more of a problem if you plan to hang something like a mirror ball which needs a power feed; clearly rotation is unacceptable so to do this you need to operate in twin-cable mode, in which case you shouldn't suffer rotation.

Obviously these units are nothing like as good as a proper theatrical hoist but they cost a fraction of the price; for light loads they are fine, and I have even come across one (on a fairground ride) that was LOLER certified to lift people (which, I have to say, I wouldn't dream of attempting....)

Archived