peavey

sailorboy

hi all got a problem with hisys 5 speakers 15 inch black widows fine, tweeters are working but horns on the left hand side are not can anyone give me a clue please these speakers are 6 years old cheers john

Option 1 - The crossover is damaged.

Option 2 - The horn driver is damaged.

Option 3 - There's a wire come off.

Try swapping the horn from the working right speaker to the left one, (check the wires while you're doing it) & that'll tell you which problem you have. I'd think option 2 is the most probable, in which case, any Peavey dealer will be able to supply a replacement diaphragm.

A local church has a set of 4 of these in their gig venue. They've replaced pretty much all of the HF drivers over the years. They don't get driven hard, but I get the feeling it's a bit of a weak link.

+1 for both of the above.

I have a pair of Peavey messenger pro 15's - driver diaphram has gone on one and on the way out on the other - when played against a new pro 15 the difference is easy to see and found that the old diaphrams didn't much like a certain keyboard players sqeeling hammond organ solos! I put a front of house graphic on to shape and compensate a little but mostly to use the limiter function. the diaphrams aren't expensive to replace - mine are £16 but I have had one on back order waiting for the peavey factory for 6 weeks now!

so yes I would suspect the driver though check all of Mark's list because you never know and yes I think cedd is right, the driver diaphrams (particularly in older models) are a weak point.

Archived