New to projection

Humey

In a recent production of Complicite's Mnemonic I used projection in a very crude, basic way. It was simply a projector on the balcony streaming a dvd made in iMovie, controlled from the lighting box. I am really intrigued with using projection for backdrops, live video and effects. Firstly I need to place the projector in the grid, any advice on this? I was just going purchase a cradle from CPC and fix it in the grid.

In an upcoming production of Pygmalion I would like to project an image of Covent Garden, and use an idea I read on the forum in which a video of pigeons flying away like Trafalgar Square. The idea I have is to have a static image of Covent Garden and then place the video of the pigeons over the image, can you suggest any software that is capable of doing this?

Apologies that this is a bit long winded...

Pretty much any video editing or compositing software will overlay one video in top of another. The hard part will be finding suitable footage of pigeons. To achieve this overlay effect one would normally film the pigeons in front of a green (or blue) screen. The green can then be digitally removed to leave just the pigeons. If all you have is pigeons against a normal street or park type background then it will be a nightmare to remove the background.

try to make things look real and you'll have enormous problems, but if you make it look dreamy, you can get away with anything.

slo-mo is a good place to start..

also check out online stock footage.

pond5 have some pretty cool stuff..

We did this at the ROH a few years ago. We used the pigeons in Trafalgar Square by running at a gaggle of them and getting them to fly up in a swarm. We then filmed them from ground level against the sky on a flat dull day, reversed the image and slo-moed it. So the stage projection gave us white pigeons in silhouette (they were representing doves) flying dreamily across the set.

You could do a similar thing with lumakey, but you are not going to get realistic birds unless you do something like Kitlane's suggestion with green screen. Alternatively, you could look at photorealistic 3d modelling packages, and create animations to key over the background - at least the pigeons will then behave exactly as you want them to!

Archived