dance floor tape

We are looking for a less expensive tape for our portable dance floor that needs to be taped & struck biweekly. Cloth tape costs $1600 a year. Our floor stays down for only 3 hours.

What is another tape that we can use to save some money & not leave residue or damage our new floor.

thanks,

Morky

I dont know what kind of floor you have but I have had to put down marley flooring in the past on a weekly basis for Sunday shows in the West end to protect the resident shows floor.

We always used ordinary black PVC tape, the same as electricians use but two inches wide. Have one person walking backwards running out the tape and another following with a stiff broom pushing down to flatten it in place. This way you can do a large stage in minutes.

This stuff will leave a skicky residue but only if it is left for long periods of time, If you only leave it down for a day or two you will have no problem and it comes up easy.

Les

We are looking for a less expensive tape for our portable dance floor that needs to be taped & struck biweekly. Cloth tape costs $1600 a year. Our floor stays down for only 3 hours.

What is another tape that we can use to save some money & not leave residue or damage our new floor.

thanks,

Morky

Thanks Les.

We just purchased a Harlequin Stagefloor.

We're putting it over an old hardwood floor. What do you use to clean the residue?

I'll look for the black stuff. We only tried the clear but a few dancers said it was slippery.

Tom

I dont know what kind of floor you have but I have had to put down marley flooring in the past on a weekly basis for Sunday shows in the West end to protect the resident shows floor.

We always used ordinary black PVC tape, the same as electricians use but two inches wide. Have one person walking backwards running out the tape and another following with a stiff broom pushing down to flatten it in place. This way you can do a large stage in minutes.

This stuff will leave a skicky residue but only if it is left for long periods of time, If you only leave it down for a day or two you will have no problem and it comes up easy.

Les

thanks,

Morky

I'm another one who's always used the double-width PVC tape - the Royal New Zealand Ballet use it, as does the Sydney Dance Company. It shouldn't leave residue, but if it does, I'd always recommend using the Harlequin products on one of their floors. I used to work in a venue which had a Harlequin floor, and I seem to remember that apart from the solution we used to mop the floor with daily, there was a "stripping back" solution as well. I have a vague memory of it being something rather nasty like potassium hydroxide (or something equally caustic!) and we used to go over the floor with that a couple of times a year, then immediately mop it with the regular solution to put the right finish back on it. Our floor used to come up and go back down pretty regularly and this method worked well and kept it in good condition.

As I say it will not leave a residue unless you leave it down for a long time, by this I mean weeks not days. I have never had to take it off a floor but when I get it on cables that have been taped for a long time I use methalated spirits.

A little aside here, we once had a stage surface for the RSC made of perspex and had a problem with static being generated. The solution turned out to be a little methalated spirits in the mop water?

Well, if it's cheapness you're after, allow me to let you in on a little secret that I came across whilst on tour in Sligo last year - silage tape! Yes, the stuff farmers use to stick those big plastic bags around hay bales. Get it at a farmer's market or outdoor supplies store. I don't know how much it costs in the UK, but in Ireland it was something like 8 euros for 4 rolls, which was a lot cheaper than PVC.

It's the same width as 50mm PVC but quite thin, and requires some care in applying as it's easy to get it mangled - it's advisable to cut it rather than tear it for instance. It can also fade from black to a light shade of grey if over-stretched; but with a little care it was fine, and anyway at that price who's arguing? :)

I have many different floors and always the Advanced Tape, 50mm PVC, however I have found that is does leave some residue on my Jongers Wood floor below, but I have alway found that a good neutral based floor cleaner and hot water has removed it. Be very careful of the cheep brands as to will leave residue, All of the dancers have not had a problem with this tape, again the cheeper tape has more slivery surface which even I have noticed

Le Mark Splicing Tape as mentioned. I would have thought you could find a local dealer in Canada.

We also have the 'official' Harlequin cleaning stuff mentioned by GridGirl. One is a general detergent for day to day grime. The other is considerably stronger. Indeed it will eat through even heavy duty marigolds so you need proper chem gloves. It is a solvent so if your cleaning pad has two layers they will very quickly separate. I would also have a fan blowing across as even in a ventilated space, you can still get a little woosy. We only need to use the strong stuff to remove stubborn gaffer tape residue if a third party have used cheap stuff when we weren't looking.

We use Le Mark Pro Grade Gloss and 3130 Matt and this leaves minimal residue on the floor. The longer it is down the more it leaves, however, you can easily roll it up with your thumb (almost like rubber cement). The splicing tape does not leave any residue, even after a week. In fact we have to re-tape some places after this amount of time. If your floor is only down for a few hours then you will not have this problem.

Top tip for lighter coloured floors. If you get any marks on your floor from footwear, many of them can be removed with a standard pencil eraser.

• 1 month later...

Archived