ETC Congo JR (with Wing) Buskability.. Live Concert

Aaron-Hill07

Evening all!

I'm looking to buy an ETC Congo Junior with the Master Playback Wing. I do a lot of work, but also very varied work which can involve anything from Theatre, Corporate Events, Live Music/Festival and anything in between.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Congo range and after doing a fair bit of research myself; it does seem like a very good console. I've not used one before, but have used the Ion and Eos a few times and have loved them.

I'm just looking really, for people's opinions on the desk. Is it a good buy for someone doing work as varied as this or is it better suited to installation/theatre work? I've seen that the Congo JR has a 'Jam' mode, which allows you to setup the wing in what seems a really good way so opinions on that too please!

Personal opinions, perks, pro's, con's; all is welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I really like the Eos family. It has some familiar Congo things in there... The browser being the first thing I think of.

I have used the Congo a fair bit, it is OK once you master a few things. Syntax being the main pain! However, Richard @ ETC (Aka Tomo) told me that can be changed now IIRC. The whole concept of Congo is that you should only need 2/3 button presses as a maximum to get to where/what you want to do, it has been a while... but I seem to remember the training videos saying this. I cant imagine that's changed. Also, the effects are very buskable, Richard gave me a walk-through of them not so long ago and I have to say I was impressed! Its not really a traditional effects engine, but hell... It is still one big beast!!

The first show I did with Congo, I had some stuff memorised from Training and a little pink post it note with the syntax written on... You will be fine. Definitely take ETCs training - VERY good!

Thanks,

its a decent desk to busk with. But practically all desks are if you put some thought into your programming. Im not a massive fan of the patch on the congo but it is easy to get your head around. I also recommend creating groups, I found it definatly sped up my programming. The desk is great for how easy it is to move subs around quickly. I feel the one thing the desk is missing compared with other desks in the family is select active (at least I think im correct in thinking thats the case). The syntax is not a problem once you get into your head the way it works.

I feel the one thing the desk is missing compared with other desks in the family is select active (at least I think im correct in thinking thats the case).

"Select Active" would be the [All] key - just to the right of the Dot on the numeric keypad.

Hit it once to select all the lights above zero coming from A (Main Playback and keypad controls), a second rapid hit adds lights coming from the Masters.

Archived