Rates of Pay

Wysiwyg101

I currently reside and work in and out of Texas here in the US. Just out of curiosity, what are the current UK rates of pay for a decent mid-level V1/Video Engineer in the corporate meetings market. Someone with Barco SP II, Barco SP II Matrix package, some Barco Encore and some Vista Spyder experience. Also, V2 experience as a PlayBackPro/ProPresenter, Tape (playback and record), and Powerpoint/Keynote Op. Some other attributes of course, but those are the main ones. 20 years in the business. I'm not looking to move to the UK, I just wanted to see how we compare over here.

I guess, while I am at it, I could ask about the rates for a good A1/Audio Engineer competent with all the Digi boards, Yamaha, etc as well line arrays and stuff like that (obviously I'm not an audio guy....** laughs out loud **).

In my experience, I'd say £250/$400 dollars a day would be a fair lower end rate..

I'm sure there's lots of people on more money, equally, lots on much less.

T

I'd say Tom is about right. But everyone has different rates, we have a guide sure, like BECTU. But when it comes down to it some people will work for less. I have 4 tiers of rates. My regulars get a slight discount, but all in all the rates are the rates. If they want someone cheaper, they can go for that - I wont loose any sleep. Don't undersell yourself I think is the main point here...

Thanks,

Well, here in the states it depends on several factors. What part of the country do you live in (techs that live in remote areas are not going to make as much as someone who lives one of the larger metropolitan areas).Are you full time employed by a company (in that case you get paid peanuts for very complicated work...** laughs out loud **)? Are you a union member in a union city (you get paid more with some pretty cool benefits, but you do have to pay for that privilege)? Are you freelance (here's where the money is, but there aren't any parachutes like insurance or benefits and the tax rate is higher for the self-employed)?

Myself, I am freelance in what a pretty decent market (the bigger cities like LA and New York, which are both union, probably pay more). For lower end stuff, like using a Barco SP II, tape op, or powerpoint/keynote op, the pay is around $300-350 (£186-216) a day with OT after 10 hrs and if we can get it (which isn't very often) DT after 12 hours. For mid-level stuff, Barco SP II Matrix package and PlayBack Pro/ProPresenter Op, the pay is around $400-450 (£247-278)a day (with the same caveats as to OT as before). And for the higher level stuff, Barco Encore and Vista Spyder Ops, the pay is around $500-650 (£309-402) a day.

For audio, I don't really know, but I would imagine it is comparable. Oh, a true graphics op, someone who is specifically hired to edit and/or create GFX, those people can get up to $700 (£433) or more a day depending on just how good they are.

I suppose its the same here... When I lived up north (Liverpool) we got paid peanuts. Now I live in the Capital I have no issue with rates or work availability. I am also better connected airport wise for work abroad. I work for a large corporate company at the moment... but I am still a freelancer - just working the same hours as a normal full time employee. I am happy!

I have a GFX guy for when I do Media Server work, he is a long time friend so we agree a fair price for each job. Your rate for GFX guys is a little higher I think. But then again, I usually give him some sort of commission too.

Thanks,

Archived