Sending VGA signal through BNC advice

Marcus

Hi Guys,

We have BNC video patching internally wired here for sending the stage monitor feed around. Can I use this patching to send VGA signal through, then back into VGA? I'm simply thinking of adapting VGA to phono, then to bnc? before I buy the adapters which are only a few quid, I wondered if someone could just dismiss my goal as futile??

What I want to achieve is to send laptop VGA signal into the bnc patch, send it upstairs to the projectors VGA input?

Many thanks

Skip the phono stage - VGA to BNC adapters are common enough. If all the five cable runs are the same length, you should be fine but if they're different, you can get some quite interesting effects...

Unless you specifically need a higher resolution than PAL, you could perhaps get an VGA to composite adapter (unless your laptop already has a composite out), and then a phono to BNC adapter to connect to your tie lines. Would save you a lot of cable.

Unless you specifically need a higher resolution than PAL, you could perhaps get an VGA to composite adapter (unless your laptop already has a composite out), and then a phono to BNC adapter to connect to your tie lines. Would save you a lot of cable.

vga over composite and back again is similar in effect to sending your audio via two paper cups and a length of string. Possible, but not advisable. That said vga over bnc tie lines is pretty standard and runs of 100m should be possible and as a pair of vga - bnc pan outs will cost about a tenner, its well worth a try.

vga over composite and back again is similar in effect to sending your audio via two paper cups and a length of string.

Surely you wouldn't need to go back again if the projector has a composite input? Obviously quality is vastly reduced, but its using 1 tie-line rather than 5...

I think we need a bit of clarification from the OP. Do you want to send the VGA signal over your ties to the VGA input on the projector, or do you want to convert the VGA to composite video and send that to the composite input on the projector? The former needs five tie lines but will look very good; the latter needs one but will look pretty horrible in comparison. Might be OK for video; really won't be for powerpoint / other computer graphics.

Archived