Dead Strand Encoder Wheel

LeeStoddart

On a Strand 550i I have a non-functional white encoder wheel. It rotates but does not have an impact on the attribute to which it is mapped. The other three encoders work fine but the white is just not playing.

I've got round it for the current show by editing the ATC page so for example I now have colour on the blue encoder.

Any suggestions as to what the fault might be and how practical it could be to fix?

Hi Lee,

I seem to remember reading that there was a "Rubber Band" affair between the wheel and the actual encoder that sometimes breaks on the 300 series....

Is that any help?

Jim W.

All the failures I've come across relating to 500 series encoders are normally down to either there being a real fault with the encoder, or the cable/connection to it.

Cross plugging with a known working adjacent encoder will quickly show where the fault lies.

There are 2 types of cables going to the encoder(s) depending on the vintage of console and I've often found the flexi gray IDC cables to be the culprit as opposed to the flat flexistrips. I've only ever had 2 encoder failures as opposed to 20+ connection faults.

Feel free to contact me if in doubt (0208 254 4740) and I'll talk you through it.

K

Archived