Abstract Club 32 Issue

MrSpeedy

Hi there,

On smaller gigs I run my abstract gear off the club 32 controller, purely for the ability to programme if needed and press light show. Basically operating with minimal time needed for programming.

The other month, I took it out using 4 VR4 Scanners and 4 Colour Changer CED lighting effects.

When the controller is plugged in, the lamps respond to the blackout command but nothing else,

As soon as the blackout command is switched off, the scanner mirrors assume a fully left and up position and strobe, whilst the colour changers cycle through the gobo and colour wheels very quickly.

This continues until the blackout command is instructed, whereby the lights respond by blacking out.

I thought that this might have been a faulty lead or incorrectly set dipswitch and so I waited to try it at the next gig.

The next gig was particularly small and only warranted the use of 4 colour changers.

However, the lights still refuse to respond correctly.

All the dipswitches are set, in this instance, DMX values 1,5,9 and 13.

This controller has been working fine.

Any ideas?

Toby

Could be....

Wrongly addressed lights (are you switching the dip switches the right way?)

Crossover DMX cable? - this is unlikely as I think there will be a blackout effect - (Edited to say what I actually mean)

something programmed in to the memories that is over-riding 'light show'.

Sounds like you have used this system a fair bit - what has changed recently?

Sounds like a DMX cable with pins 2+3 swapped to me. The strobing/fast colour scroll is a classic symptom of reversed DMX. I am not sure how this could be explained in a previously working setup, but that's what it sounds like.

Thanks for the input so far,

I thought too that it may be a DMX address issue and so decided to use it on the 4 colour changers where it was harder to make an addressing mistake.

CED's addressed as 1,5,9 and 13.

I have phase reversal DMX cables for when the lighting effects are used on my bigger rig and controlled with a different desk.

I do not use these when using the lights on the abstract controller as the pins are reversed coming from the controller.

When all 4 of the heads are selected, it is possible to accurately control the colour and gobo wheels through the joystick as before.

Light show mode just seems to be scrambled.

Having said that, when light show mode is turned off, they still do not function correctly. (i.e. they still perform strange things, mirrors up/left, gobos scrolling constantly...)

Is there a way of resetting the controller?

Whats the worst case scenario here (before buying a new desk)?

Toby

I would suggest that you start by checking the specifications for each of your lights. 3-pin DMX isn't standardised, some (probably most) manufacturers use pin 3 +ve, some use pin 3 -ve. It sounds from your symptoms as if you may have a mix of different types, in which case a phase reversal lead / adaptor will be needed somewhere in the rig.

It would be worth trying a reset:

To reset the controller, hold down Cancel while powering up, then let go of Cancel and when all the buttons flash, press Save.

So does the controller not work any more with any of your lights?

The controller does not work when just a single colour changer is connected to it.

Basic trouble-shooting technique then... If you connect each of colour changers in turn, one by one, to the controller, do they each respond in the same manor? If so, it's either the controller or the single DMX cable you're using. (Is it DMX cable or mic cable? Are you terminating the line? </can-of-worms>) Swap out the cable and repeat. Meter the cable to check continuity and correct wiring. Try again with a known polarity inverted cable. Do you have access to another controller? Even a basic 12 channel manual DMX desk would do.

Start simple, swap out one component at a time. You'll quickly find where the problem lies.

Do you have access to another controller? Even a basic 12 channel manual DMX desk would do.

Remember, the Abstract gear you have listed is all pin 2 hot on the DMX, so if you do try another controller, make sure you check whether the DMX output is pin 3 hot (likely).

Do you have access to another controller? Even a basic 12 channel manual DMX desk would do.

Remember, the Abstract gear you have listed is all pin 2 hot on the DMX, so if you do try another controller, make sure you check whether the DMX output is pin 3 hot (likely).

Yep Tim,

I have already used the abstract equipment alongside other equipment through another desk, this is my only option at the moment!

I use the phase reversal leads when I connect them to that controller

I always use a termination plug

Cable is proper DMX shielded, I have also tried all different cables.

The controller works with none of my abstract lighting effects now.

Shez, I have already completed what you have suggested, I am trying to focus my efforts on the output of the controller as I think this quite likely to be the source of the problem.

Tim, I will try a reset tonight and see if that does anything and report back

Toby

Hi guys

Reset the controller and tested with 2 colour changers,

All is back to normal I think.

When the desk was misbehaving, the lights in the buttons were definitely doing different things!

It must have just got scrambled!

When I next have the time, the whole lot is coming out for a good long test run me thinks!

Although I have noticed something else happening, so I have PM'd you Tim.

Thanks all

Toby

Archived