Acrylic neon sign

torch1972

I have a show coming that wants to fly a arcylic and neon sign that in on a rectangle of 10mm clear arcylic they have said they with put holes in the top of the rectangle of clear arcylic for fixings. So my plan is to fix a black painted timber though the holes in rectangle of clear arcylic then screw the fixings to the timber. Because it think spreading the load of the logo over the timber which would be better and then loading stress in on the fixngs and timber.

Is this the safest way?

2 x 2.5m @10mm thick.... that's a heavy bit of business to be flying; acrylic has a density slightly higher than water so you're looking at 55kg of dead weight. You'll need to build in some serious safety factors to cope with the momentum that can produce either through wind (it's going to be a big sail so even a slight draft will get it moving) or being knocked / flow in/out.

As others have said (and you correctly identified) you're going to be best off fixing that to a batten/beam and then attaching your rigging points to it - you'll need to ensure that the sign is properly fixed to the batten. I'd be wanting at least 4 distinct points evenly spaced attaching the sheet to the batten as acrylic is quite brittle.

That's a BIG neon sign for a single piece of plastic. Even if it is 10mm thick. Have they been touring this sign? Neon is so easy to break that it's not ideal for touring and flying about.

Its not been on tour, its been made for the event at the theatre. Once the sign is flown it does not move thankly.

Archived