VL1000 Problem

Ali2580

Hi all.

Just looking for suggestions / possibilities here as curiosity has taken over here.

We have got a Vari-Lite VL1000 Tungsten at work and for a while it has had a bit of a problem. We have been really busy so haven't had time to look at it but with maintenance period coming up soon I'm quite interested in what the problem actually might be.

So.. When it is powered on it responds fine. However, once it has gone through it's start up procedure it doesn't respond at all. The CYM is stuck on blue and it will not respond to pan/tilt/colour/gobo, anything at all yet the intensity will work. No one has changed the DMX address from it's usual address which is always kept the same. Always open a default show file from the ETC Congo where it is patched yet doesn't work. Load a show file from 8 months ago and it still doesn't respond at all.

What could the problem be? I have a feeling it's something ridiculously easy that I haven't even realised...

Cheers in advance.

Is this the Internal or External dimmer version?

The more common one has an external dimmer, so the intensity will work as long as the main dimmers are still OK - regardless of the fixture itself.

So first, take a look at the fixture's display - is it showing an error code?

If it's happy, first confirm that the DMX address really does match what you've got in the show file, then check the DMX data path to the fixture.

Is this the Internal or External dimmer version?

The more common one has an external dimmer, so the intensity will work as long as the main dimmers are still OK - regardless of the fixture itself.

So first, take a look at the fixture's display - is it showing an error code?

If it's happy, first confirm that the DMX address really does match what you've got in the show file, then check the DMX data path to the fixture.

I imagine it is external version as this would explain the dimmer working fine with no other attributes responding. I can't say I've noticed an error code on the fixture display - I think it has usually been blank everytime I've had a look at it from the above gantry.

Cheers for the suggestions and will check them out!

Most good automated fixtures will go into a standby mode and display an error message if they fail to initialise correctly. I'd suspect a faulty position sensor or perhaps a duff DMX receiver chip. The fact it's attempting to initialise shows that the main processor is active.

Could the display be turned off in its settings?

As otheres have mentioned first of all verify that there is definatly data reaching the fixture from the desk and the address of the fixture is correct. Then check for error codes by pressing the menu button scrolling to fixture then to status. If this says OK and there is definatly data reaching the fixture then you may have an issue with your DMX input card. Take the arm cover off on the side of the display and look for the DMX input card connector on the main board. If the fixture is hung this will be at the top left hand corner of the PCB and will be a 5 pin bimba connector. Make sure it is plugged in properly. Next see if you can operate the functions manually from the fixture itself if all the functions work ok from there then you either have a problem with the DMX input card which is located in the base or you have a problem with your main control board.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm fairly sure the DMX address on the unit has never changed as the LX bars are never changed and the units are never taken off the bars so I've got a feeling that this isn't an issue but will double check.

I have a feeling it's an internal issue somewhere for none of the attributes to be working and despite trying to send it home, the CMY stays on blue.

Maintenance week this week so will try the suggestions given, thanks again!

A

Archived