Gravlock couplers without SWL stamped

c.cam108

I recently purchased some gravlock couplers from a reputable supplier named after a hard stone and when they arrived I noticed that there was no SWL marking on them. After contacting the supplier I was emailed a datasheet from the manufacturer showing the maximum loads in kN on all three axes.

I have been told not to use them as there is no rating stamped in the metal as if they failed I would have no defence for using them, but I see no problem having been given this data from elsewhere.

What is the consensus, would you be happy using these, or is it a big no-no?

The information stamped on the side of the couplers is:

USE IN PAIRS

EN74

08L01

and on the top:

TH+S

0810JC8002 (I think)

Thanks

Colin C

EN74 is the relevant rating.

It refers to the standard to which the coupler conforms, within the standard the loadings of the coupler are defined.

Edit: Thinking about it, I believe for gravlocks there may not be a relevant EN/BSI standard. Meaning stamping them as such is a little odd.

Yes a quick google gave me that:

BS EN 74-1:2005

Couplers, spigot pins and baseplates for use in falsework and scaffolds. Couplers for tubes. Requirements and test procedures

Edit: just saw your edit. Never mind...

I've sent off an email to someone who should be able to clarify whether or not gravlocks even fall under EN74.

In general though, scaffold fittings are marked with the standard to which they comply, rather than a simple SWL. As the standard contains much more detailed information on the loadings the fitting can take.

That said aluminium fittings are normally marked with an SWL, as they tend to be used in a different manner.

So it turns out different manufacturers have a different opinion on gravlocks coming under EN74.

What I have been told is that a SWL stamped on the fitting is not needed and that the marks it does have along with the documentation you've been sent is sufficient.

Usual disclaimers with regards to you needing to be a competent person to do any rigging apply. If in doubt consult a rigging company.

It came from someone at a large scaffolding company who also import an awful lot of fittings from India.

I can't say it is an authoritative answer though I'm afraid.

If you need that contact the manufacturer of your fittings, should be listed on the paperwork you got from your supplier. Should only take a quick email and they can give you the exact information you need.

I already have all the info I need from the manufacturer, it was purely the fact that there isn't a figure stamped on them. I've been advised to basically bin them and buy new ones with an SWL stamped on them and I wanted a second opinion before throwing (someone else's) money down the drain.

I'd be surprised if you could find any with a stamped SWL. The standard to which the fitting complies is stamped because a simple SWL is not sufficient information from which to design a structure. But knowing the limits in the standard, or having the paperwork from the manufacturer lets you do this.

Hence my previous posts about competence. You can't just say that something will take X Kgs and put that weight below it. Your insurers will ask if you where competent to put that weight below it.

a simple SWL is not sufficient information from which to design a structure. But knowing the limits in the standard, or having the paperwork from the manufacturer lets you do this.

^^^^

This.

Not least of all, its hard to see how a single gravlock can be stamped with a meaningful SWL when the SWL of one gravlock on its own is effectively zero.

The person advising that these brand new gravlocks need to be binned and replaced wouldn't happen to be someone offering to supply some more by any chance?

Not least of all, its hard to see how a single gravlock can be stamped with a meaningful SWL when the SWL of one gravlock on its own is effectively zero.

An excellent point. SWL depends on the usage.

The person advising that these brand new gravlocks need to be binned and replaced wouldn't happen to be someone offering to supply some more by any chance?

nope, just a concerned friend.

Archived