Petzl Absorbica warning/recall.

Seano

Following a nasty accident on a via ferrata, in which a Scorpio lanyard failed due to a manufacturing fault, Petzl have issued a recall notice.

The recall affects all Scorpio via ferrata lanyards (clicky), but it also has implications for the Absorbica range of energy absorbers and energy absorbing lanyards.

If you are currently using an Absorbica energy absorber or lanyard, you need to stop using it immediately until it has been inspected according to the instructions Petzl have issued.

The inspection procedure is a very straightforward visual check, I would imagine most Absorbica users would be competent to carry out the inspection themselves, but ymmv.

See Petzl's notice (and link to inspection instructions) here: clicky.

The Zyper range of (recreational) via ferrata lanyards, and the ASAP'SORBER energy absorbers for use with the ASAP backup device aren't affected by this.

Careful now.

Edited to add:

There is a notice specific to the UK and Ireland issued by Lyon Equipment here: http://www.lyon.co.uk/images/stories/important-info/lyon_website_absorbica_1_19_may_11.pdf

Looking at that inspection notice it could also be applied to any lanyard. I routinely check my lanyards for damaged stitching, but I've never checked for completely missing bar tack stitching. This is the sort of thing that could slip through at manufacturing on a random lanyard. I'm away to check my lanyards right now.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived