Low profile active front/lip fill

chelgrian

I'm looking at options for active speakers which I can do dual duty as small and portable for playing stuff back in rehearsals and low profile front of stage fill for venues which don't have it.

Meyer make some interesting boxes such as they MM-4XP and MM-4XPD which are really designed for installation rather than theatre but seem appropriate however they are rather expensive. People also seem to use miniature line array components on their own again these are mostly very expensive. The most usual venue for this to be used in has d&b Ci90 and Ci-Subs as its PA so the boxes need to be of similar quality as those. d&b themselves make some suitable passive boxes such as the E6 but nothing active.

Does anybody have a recommendation?

I'd second the UPM's, but, if the venue already has d&b, then when not go for some small d&b cabs? No surprises with eq, integration and volume ramping will be consitant.

TallMike, I think you comment may be misleading, as all d&bs full range boxes have a passive crossover. yes, I know, pedant...

TallMike, I think you comment may be misleading, as all d&bs full range boxes have a passive crossover. yes, I know, pedant...

It was slightly misleading - I meant to say that EM cabs often outperform.. not just the i2.

I'd second the UPM's, but, if the venue already has d&b, then when not go for some small d&b cabs? No surprises with eq, integration and volume ramping will be consitant.

Because it would have to be passive and I'd prefer something that is active so when using it a self contained for playing stuff back in rehearsals I don't have to cart a separate amp around as well, this also rules out the EM Acoustics speakers.

The Meyer UPM-1P would indeed be ideal but for the fact they are about £2K each a box + VAT :/

If I remember rightly, EM acoustics do sell an amp module that can attach to the back of there speakers, so you could get more or less the same effect of an active box. Cant find the link at the moment, so it might be worth emailing them about it.

If I remember rightly, EM acoustics do sell an amp module that can attach to the back of there speakers, so you could get more or less the same effect of an active box. Cant find the link at the moment, so it might be worth emailing them about it.

There does seem to be something for their larger boxes but not the compact boxes.

I've found that RCF have introduced the TT051A and the TT052A in the compact wide dispersion market however they seem to be so new that there isn't any pricing information around. Anyone know what sort of bracket they'd be in?

Archived