source 4

topsy100

right here is my question..... I have source 4 profiles all 26 degree.... by moving the lens in the tube can I change them to 36 or even 50. it would seem like its possible as the tube is marked for differant angles however does the lens change also????

cheers chaps and chapes's

If you have a zoom, then you can adjust the beam angle - there are two versions, one a more wide angle range and the other narrower to cater for throw differences. The single lens version is a fixed beam angle - the adjustment simply gives you sharp or soft focus - proper beam angle adjustment means different lens assemblies.

right here is my question..... I have source 4 profiles all 26 degree.... by moving the lens in the tube can I change them to 36 or even 50. it would seem like its possible as the tube is marked for differant angles however does the lens change also????

cheers chaps and chapes's

If you want to use the lens tubes as 36' then you need the 36' lenses to put in them. Same for if you want them to be 50's or 19's.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if the lens tube is marked up with different beam angles then surely you have the zooms?

If it says 26 degree on one of the sticky-out-bits at the end of the lens tube then it's 26 degrees and is fixed. You can make it bigger by defocussing it but not to 36 or 50 degrees. If you can make it sharp at different sizes then it's a zoom and will do those beam angles and anything in between.

thanks IRW you understood my question. So the answer is as I thought the lens in a 26 cannot just be moved to the 36 position you need a 36 lens too

cheers

Pretty much, infact for a 36' I think you need two lenses- certainly all the 36' source fours that we had at my previous place of work had two lenses in- made them a right pain to clean during maintenance!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if the lens tube is marked up with different beam angles then surely you have the zooms?

If it says 26 degree on one of the sticky-out-bits at the end of the lens tube then it's 26 degrees and is fixed. You can make it bigger by defocussing it but not to 36 or 50 degrees. If you can make it sharp at different sizes then it's a zoom and will do those beam angles and anything in between.

The OP is not referring to the markings on the outside of the lens tube.

If you dis assemble the lens tube you will find inside that there are lugs which support the lenses in position. The different positions are marked with 19, 26, 36, 50 (in the last one I looked at) - these indicate where the lens needs to be positioned for each particular configuration.

But as other posters have said, physically different lenses are probably used in the different sizes. The markings are a type of error proofing for the assembly process (and also indicate where to put the lens when you re-assemble after cleaning).

The OP is not referring to the markings on the outside of the lens tube.

If you dis assemble the lens tube you will find inside that there are lugs which support the lenses in position. The different positions are marked with 19, 26, 36, 50 (in the last one I looked at) - these indicate where the lens needs to be positioned for each particular configuration.

But as other posters have said, physically different lenses are probably used in the different sizes. The markings are a type of error proofing for the assembly process (and also indicate where to put the lens when you re-assemble after cleaning).

Aahhh I see, sorry. Never had to take one apart to find out!

Archived