Comments on a cheap amp required

JSalisbury

Hi,

Has anyone bought a gear4music amp and what did they think of it? This is offered as a 100W model http://www.gear4musi...-Gear4music/CAF it is intended to replace a Denon DNA300 that has been recently stolen. The input will be from a standard unpowered mixer. It is intended for sound FX, small voacal and interval music for a venue that is 8m by 25m.

Thanks

Hi the load is a pair of cheap speakers supplied with a 4 channel "pa" amp, the kind that claim 100W in the mapin catalogue, but have a hidden heatsink.

Ok, I might be missing something/, but this new amp is listed as supplying 180w per side, but the original (the stolen one?) is just 100w (0r 50W?) per channel?

Hi the load is a pair of cheap speakers supplied with a 4 channel "pa" amp, the kind that claim 100W in the mapin catalogue, but have a hidden heatsink.

Ok, I might be missing something/, but this new amp is listed as supplying 180w per side, but the original (the stolen one?) is just 100w (0r 50W?) per channel?

Ok,

Orginanly these speakers were provided with a generic 50W(ish) PA amp from Maplin. This amp was not particularly good and became faulty. This was replaced with the Denon, that was then stolen. Rather than purchase another Denon, which are very good on the ear but they are rather attractive to the flog it in the pub comunity, I was wondering about using a 19" amp such as shown.

Orginanly these speakers were provided with a generic 50W(ish) PA amp from Maplin. This amp was not particularly good and became faulty. This was replaced with the Denon, that was then stolen. Rather than purchase another Denon, which are very good on the ear but they are rather attractive to the flog it in the pub comunity, I was wondering about using a 19" amp such as shown.

I might have missed something here, but this would mean that the speakers are going to be over driven. (leading to distortion, and eventually damage). You would need an amp that matches the speakers. Such a device will exist I think. What is the exact spec of the speakers? the RMS watts and the Ohms (Ω) is what is needed to find an amplifier.

I'd say it should work fine provided you don't drive it into clipping. The usual advice is to use an amp with a higher rating than the speakers but don't clip the amp. Typical music/speech has a fairly low average level compared to the maximum peaks so the speakers won't be overly stressed.

James.

Archived