Advice on projector functions before purchase

richmondav

I am looking at purchasing a projector for a hire company and have a few questions:

1) If a projector has a resolution of 1024 x 768 is that the maximum resolution I can put through it? What happens if I put a higher resolution through it?

2) Again if I have a full-HD projector can I put a 1024 x 768 signal through it?

3) 'Picture in picture' and 'picture by picture' functions. Are these not dependent on the switcher used rather than the projector?

4) What does 360 degree projection mean?

Thanks

1. You can generally feed it with a higher resolution (subject to an upper limit that depends on the projector) but the projector will try to scale it. The results aren't always very pretty. Particularly if you're giving it a different aspect ratio. Far better to feed it at its native resolution.

2. Feeding it a lower resolution is fine, but again, some scaling will take place. As XGA and HD are different aspect ratios, you may not get the results you expect first time.

3. Some projectors will have such facilities built in; others won't.

4. You would generally assume that refers to projection all around the viewer rather than just on a conventional screen in front. You need several projectors and some very clever hardware to make it work well...

1. You can generally feed it with a higher resolution (subject to an upper limit that depends on the projector) but the projector will try to scale it. The results aren't always very pretty. Particularly if you're giving it a different aspect ratio. Far better to feed it at its native resolution.

2. Feeding it a lower resolution is fine, but again, some scaling will take place. As XGA and HD are different aspect ratios, you may not get the results you expect first time.

3. Some projectors will have such facilities built in; others won't.

4. You would generally assume that refers to projection all around the viewer rather than just on a conventional screen in front. You need several projectors and some very clever hardware to make it work well...

Thanks Shez. This projector is for a hire company and I am trying to work out what are the minimum features I require. Is HD the highest spec and best to cover all eventualities? I know what I need in terms of lumens and other functions but I am just unsure regarding the best resolution for the projector. Am I right in assuming that the highest spec is HD and that should cover everything?

Thanks

Hi,

We need more details. Spec them a HD projector and all they do is put powerpoint through it and they will have wasted money.

What is their usual target market? Awards shows, IMAG, meetings?

As Shez says, some projectors do a better job of up and down scaling than others so it would be nice to know if you have some ideas of what projectors you may be thinking about.

Hi,

We need more details. Spec them a HD projector and all they do is put powerpoint through it and they will have wasted money.

What is their usual target market? Awards shows, IMAG, meetings?

As Shez says, some projectors do a better job of up and down scaling than others so it would be nice to know if you have some ideas of what projectors you may be thinking about.

Hi David

I am looking at a choice of Sanyo projectors PDG-DET100L or PDG-DHT100L or PLC-XF1000 or PLV-WF20

It would be used for award shows and bigger promotional events for drinks companies with bands playing etc. Some larger conferences but only a few. I have a chance to buy one of the above projectors at a reduced price.

Thanks

You've asked some very basic questions, which shows a concerning lack of knowledge in the video / projection field.

Assuming your currently running a successful sound / lighting hire company and are looking to move into video then I'd suggest that you need to find someone to help you who is knowledgeable on the video side of things.

The projector is only a small part of the video system needed for the kind of work you describe, you'll need a range of additional equipment to be able to provide large scale event video services. This additional kit will likely cost you at least as much again as the projector, and it is easy for people lacking in knowledge and experience to spend thousands of pounds on kit which isn't really suitable for the job in hand.

Clients often have even less understanding of the video side of things than they do with sound and lighting, you'll be in danger of letting people down unless your knowledgeable enough to guide them through the process.

An experienced video tech will be able to advise you on the things you'll need to be able to expand into video, and train your staff so they have the basic skills required to ensure your clients are kept happy and that their content looks as good as it can.

When deciding on SD or HD format, you also should consider what your projection surface will be. If you are dependant on others for their screens, then older companies will still have 4:3 aspect ratio screens (one of the reasons the 5:4 aspect ratio never took off). If you are looking to purchase the screens along with the projector, then you need to look at what your main content will be.

Some projectors will have setting to mask when you switch between SD or HD (think the black bars on your television depending on the format you have at home). When you look at the projector's specifications, it will list the native resolution and the maximum resolution. This tells you what's possible to go in, but the projector will scale any image to it's native resolution.

Archived