MagicQ User co-operative

paulears

Quite a few of us on the forum have MagicQ hardware - some have desks, others have a variety of different wings and other items.

As Chamsys don't have a conventional dealer network, would anyone fancy sharing locations and equipment with a view to making some money by hiring it out when it's not in use? I've got a Maxi wing and an extra wing, and for 6 months of the year it really does very little. SO I'm thinking about when somebody wants a proper hardware control surface to go with the show they're programming on their PC we could supply one? I'm not sure if the idea has legs - after all, many owners might not wish to let them out in this way - but having a pool of equipment all over the place could work, if we can think up a way to do it. I guess we'd have to agree some kind of pricing policy, so a certain item would always be quoted at the same rate - and we'd need to just provide a list of equipment and contact details. We could agree some kind of split, or simply just keep the hire fee when our kit went out, in our area. If we can't service a date, we pass the potential hire to the next in the ring?

It's just an idea - but I thought I'd punt it out to see what other think?

EDIT (August 2011) - now it's been up and running - the link is here this takes you to the functioning site.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be up for it from a 'customer' perspective, for the few shows I ever do having a decent wing to hand would be a great help if I ever decide that the venue Jester isn't up for the job.

Tim

Id be up for that as well.

Even though im only a new user - and for the moment im just using it for a tribute band I work with and just running it on a laptop and touch screen, it would be nice to use the expandable hardware once in a while. :)

Again, interested from a customer point of view. I can do freebie gigs at little cost to me using the £10 dongle but it'd be nice to have access to something halfway between that and a full blown desk at 200 a week.

I'll pitch into this if it helps. I've got a PC Wing that I'd be happy to rent out when it's not busy (which is most of the time these days). Also got an all-in-one 17" touchscreen PC to drive it if required, but I'd prefer to not send that out as a dry hire. Location is near to Chester, just over the border into Wales.

I'd probably live at both ends of this; I've got a hire company and we have a PC Wing, but numerous weekends over the summer I need to or three control surfaces, and other weekends its not doing anything. Certainly has potential as an idea.

Looks like this could have legs then - I guess the simplest method would be to simply collate a list of what people have available, and their location - would just the County be enough? Then a contact number. It would be a fairly simple job to just have a very simple web presence if people wanted a simple point of contact. I'm thinking (off the top of my head) A Map with the counties, and then clicking on those brings back contact details. Perhaps a list or images of the items on another page, so clicking on a PC wing brings back those owners, where clicking on another product brings up a different list. Like Gareth, I've got a dedicated PC and touch screen in a rack - but dry hiring computers is a bit iffy - and the beauty of magicq is that people likely to want the hardware already have it running on their PC and just want real faders for one-off events.

Please - keep adding comments, and if people are serious, I'll sort the web part.

I'd happily add my Mini-wing in to this. It gets used very rarely at the moment, so would be great to get it working again and put a little more cash in the bank too!

We'd need to sort out how to insure these little hires, I know blue-roomers will be careful with other people's kit but accidents do happen.

I have a PC wing just south of Newcastle upon Tyne which is available some of the time to join this collective.

This would be an absolute God-send for those gigs where extra buttons and faders are needed. I don't know how much I would partake in 'hiring' but for those one offs it would be awesome.

I say do it.

Archived