PTZ cameras for church service recording

timsabre

At our church we have a basic system for web-streaming the service to church members who are ill. We have been using two Pelco CCTV dome cameras, the whole thing operated by one person.

The image quality of the cameras is fairly horrible, the other day I tried a cheap domestic camcorder and the image quality is vastly better, but obviously there's no remote PTZ on a camcorder and they keep turning themselves off, etc.etc.

Looking around, many people seem to be using Sony EVI-D31 or EVI-D70p cameras for this type of application. Does anyone here use these cameras and is the picture quality a lot better than a CCTV type camera?

At our church we have a basic system for web-streaming the service to church members who are ill. We have been using two Pelco CCTV dome cameras, the whole thing operated by one person.

The image quality of the cameras is fairly horrible, the other day I tried a cheap domestic camcorder and the image quality is vastly better, but obviously there's no remote PTZ on a camcorder and they keep turning themselves off, etc.etc.

Looking around, many people seem to be using Sony EVI-D31 or EVI-D70p cameras for this type of application. Does anyone here use these cameras and is the picture quality a lot better than a CCTV type camera?

In a word, yes. I've a couple of EVI-D31s around that used to go with a ISDN video conferencing unit and the quality is very nice with better auto-focus and AE than a number of camcorders that I've seen. You'd have to use something else to control the PTZ since the serial protocol is different from CCTV units or use the remote control. If you were closer by I'd let you borrow one for a bit, I keep meaning to use these ones for a nice conference room setup.

David.

Thanks for that info David, they do keep coming up on ebay so I will see if I can get one for a reasonable price.

There's some free PC software to control the PTZ which we can use for trial purposes, I thought the pelco controller probably wouldn't do it.

look at the Sony BRC-h700

http://www.sony.co.u...-h700p/features

nice package 1080i camera - easy to use multi camera remote.. but slightly more expensive than the EVI d30 which is a glorified usb camera

ian

Looks nice but probably a bit OTT for what we need as we're just on SD composite video at the moment. Sony BRC-300 is probably nearer the mark but I suspect still too expensive.

I use 4 EVI-D30 controlled with a Sony RMBR 300 remote. The best you get is Y/C and it's not horrible, that said, I wish I had the BRC. For basic web streaming they're great. A much higher quality camera is a bit of overkill if that's the only use. If you're going to use them for record/IMAG then you need something a little more robust and the BRC would fit well. The price point jump is considerable though. Vaddio has some solutions as well as others- Panny, Canon, etc. Fullcompass sometimes has b-stock for a decent price.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm looking at doing the same thing in our church - would welcome any pointers on where to start !

looking the thread over, I see a couple of ideas for cameras, what about software for the streaming - any recommendations?

what gotchas should I be looking to avoid (not least of which, it's a long way up to the roof, I won't get away with cameras anywhere they can be seen, so adjustments on the fly are definately out!

Sony EVI-D31s often come up on ebay and sell for £50 - £100; EVI-D100s come up too, but go for a lot more. There's very good free control software available, so you can PTZ from the desktop of the PC you are using for streaming.

Just to fill in, as I started this, I have obtained 4 Canon VC-C50 cameras (very similar to the Sony EVI-D31's) for my church job and they are a vast improvement on the CCTV cameras we were using. They have a 24x optical zoom which gives us a full face closeup over the full distance of the church (stationary targets only!!!). As rgye says, there is free PC software to control them, you can program 9 preset pan/tilt/zoom positions per camera for instant recall. In-vision panning or tilting is too jerky but 4 cams allows us to cut away to another shot for repositioning. They have good manual control as well for tricky focus or exposure conditions.

For streaming, we are using a cheapy USB-Video converter (sold as "DVD makers" for about 20 quid), into Adobe Flash Media Encoder (free download) and then into Ustream (free streaming to up to 50 viewers). Ustream works pretty well, except they show a full-screen advert for the first 30 seconds of viewing, and then numerous text ads at the bottom of the screen. There are other streaming services but they all show ads in a similar way. Ustream also offers free recording of the stream for later viewing.

Archived