Wireless Speaker Connectivity

Scottish_AV_in London

HI Guys,

I have a fairly lucrative job coming up, and I am stumped by the amount of cabling it will require to successfully complete it.

So in an effort to try and minimise loading time, Truck Space, and Crewing costs, I was thinking "outside the box" and thought that this may work.

Does anyone have experience with doing something similar?

I would be using a Sennheiser G2 EM300 Reciever with the Sennheiser G2 IEM Transmitter. Its a distance of about 80-100m, inside a stadium.

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

:)

It will work fine, subject to a bit of thought about aerials etc - the only snag is that of control. If somebody pops up on the frequency you are using and they are stronger - then your audio gets replaced with theirs and you have no control, The stadia in that section get a different feed. Apart from running 300m and switching it off, there's nothing much you can do. An unexpected DJ sets up in a bar next door, and they him - not you?

It could be worth talking to JFMG and they maybe they could allocate you a discrete frequency and you could hire in some kit for it. This way, the chances of an unwanted, but probably quite legal intruder would be reduced. Doing it on ch 69/70 is risky, because as we all know, many users have no idea that they cannot just dial up any frequency their radio system lets them!

I'd certainly make sure an easy to get to OFF switch is available near each section, so you don't have to panic trying to find keys to shut it off if some nasty unexpected digital noise suddenly bursts out and all hell breaks loose!

Some good thoughts from Paul...I'd certainly pay JFMG for a dedicated frequency outside of the 69/70 range.

Also for the distances you're talking about, I'd probably consider using directional antennae with a very specific acceptance angle. This would give some extra gain margin in your link budget and also (hopefully) make you less subject to interference if somebody fires up on your frequency--if your antennae are pointed at FOH rather than the performance area this gives you an extra margin of safety

Bob

Its a distance of about 80-100m, inside a stadium.

If you have a clear run for the cable, pulling 100m off a drum for an audio feed isn't going to add a huge amount of overhead to the job.

The other thing that might be worth investigating is if there is any network cabling installed which you could use. Unlike a radio-based solution, nobody would be able to break into your signal. Baluns for sending audio over CAT 5 are relatively cheap to buy, you don't have to use Cobranet or similar.

Archived