Flickering Showtec Multidim Mk2's

RoyS

Hi All,

I have a strange phenomenon happening with 2 Showtec Multidim Mk2’s… When setup in normal dimmer mode, connected to either MagicDMX, Chamsys MQ PC Wing or a Zero88 Jester channels randomly flicker when set at less than 100%. If I disconnect the DMX input to the dimmer the effect stops.

The cable run between the control and dimmer is 2 metres and I have added a terminator to the dimmer – with no effect to the flickering…

The flickering is not associated with sound (the dimmers have in-built microphone)

I have hooked up an oscilloscope to the mains supply to see if any spikes/noise are associated with the flickering but have not seen anything..

I have two of these little dimmers, both are dicking about in a similar way. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure?

Many thanks and best regards to all..

Hi RoyS,

I had a problem similar to this and when I took the Multidim apart I found that the Pin 2 of the DMX in was connected to Pin 3 of the DMX out. and Pin 3 of the DMX in to Pin 2 of the DMX out.

could it be this?

Hi kidlighter,

Opened up the dimmer and checked the DMX wiring from the PCB to the IN/OUT Socket - all normal: 1-1-1, 2-2-2, 3-3-3..

BTW: Only using two channels on this occasion so swapped from Ch1+2 to 3+4 - no change...

I had EXACTLY the same problem with a couple of multidim MKII's last year (there should be a thread on it somewhere). After a local hire company looked at them, they were condemned..they said that it would be cheaper to buy new ones rather than get them fixed...would probably be the same with yours. Hope this helps! :)

A quick look at the manual says they can be used as a switch so, if they cannot be repaired but will work at 100% without any problems then perhaps this could be a new lease of life for them? You could use them for work lights or a hazer which doesn't have DMX.

Just a thought...

Hi,

On checking back these two were purchased from BlueAran just over two years ago. In all honesty they have been rarely (if at all) used since procured and I don't think the problem is new. So I shall ask BlueAran to investigate.... We spend a good few £K with them each year so hopefully they'll provide a solution... I'll report back.. Watch this space..

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

To conclude the story.. BlueAran investigated the problem and tracked it down to a flaky firmware/eprom. This has now been replaced on both dimmers - problem now solved.

Thanks to Ed, Ben, Chris and Andy at BlueAran for their support.

• 8 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm having a similar issue with a MkII manufactured in 2007 (going by the QC sticker) - not sure if the OP (RoyS) still uses these however if you do did you notice if the "DMX Signal" LED also flickered and, if so, when the pack was replaced did it continue to flicker when a DMX Signal was present.

This one behaves fine with 'traditional' fixtures on it - e.g. a 650W Fresnel (or at least the flicker isn't noticeable) but when trying to run 150W of light at about 30% (I should add that Showtec and Zero88's dimming curves disagree greatly on what 30% is ;)) the flicker somewhat reminds me of candlelight !

There is still a slight flicker at that level even with the DMX unplugged but its hardly noticeable (and was present using the Zero88 Betapack 3 as well so I accept that's always going to be the case from anything other than expensive IGBT dimmers) but with difference with the DMX plugged in is very noticeable.

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm having a similar issue with a MkII manufactured in 2007 (going by the QC sticker) - not sure if the OP (RoyS) still uses these however if you do did you notice if the "DMX Signal" LED also flickered and, if so, when the pack was replaced did it continue to flicker when a DMX Signal was present.

This one behaves fine with 'traditional' fixtures on it - e.g. a 650W Fresnel (or at least the flicker isn't noticeable) but when trying to run 150W of light at about 30% (I should add that Showtec and Zero88's dimming curves disagree greatly on what 30% is ;)) the flicker somewhat reminds me of candlelight !

There is still a slight flicker at that level even with the DMX unplugged but its hardly noticeable (and was present using the Zero88 Betapack 3 as well so I accept that's always going to be the case from anything other than expensive IGBT dimmers) but with difference with the DMX plugged in is very noticeable.

Have you tried a ghost load to get rid of the flicker? The dimmers may not like a load that small.

Have you tried a ghost load to get rid of the flicker? The dimmers may not like a load that small.

Definitely makes a difference, but it doesn't explain why they'd flicker more with the DMX connected than when they retain the state with it unplugged ...

i.e. adjust to 30% - flickers like mad. Remove the DMX cable - flicker pretty much stops (but it stays at 30%). Replace DMX cable - flickers again ;)

Archived