Sunday Morning - Andrew Marr show BBC

Ian H

I have been watching the program today and am curious as to how the Scenic projection is managed.

Watching the program in HD you can see very good resolution on the Images ( but not the time on Big Ben).

Does anybody have any ideas or know somebody on the inside....

Regards

Ian

Think I have found the answer to my question.

From where is the programme broadcast?

The studio is in Television Centre in West London. Andrew Marr is broadcast from the same studio as "Newsnight", The Politics Show, "Newsround", and various other news programmes.

The back of the studio is a video wall and each programme inserts into that wall whatever graphic or picture they want.

The Marr picture is aimed to give the feeling of being next to the House of Commons and overlooking the Thames in central London.

The picture - or in fact series of pictures - was taken from the top of the Milbank tower which is a very tall office block on the embankment about midway between The House of Lords and the Tate Gallery.

Four shots were taken from the same spot then stitched together digitally, and a ten-minute loop runs in the video wall.

The same busses and vans cross the bridge ...but with a ten-minute gap, we hope this is not too obvious.

I had same problem with Studio in South Africa for the World Cup and we had basically the same approach..

http://www.techietalk.co.uk/news/snp-productions-supplies-catalysts-roca-video-univisions-world-cup-studio/

Ian

There's some more stuff, including a pretty picture here. It also includes a link to a (somewhat out of date) press release from Barco who supplied the video wall. You might find some of the other stuff in the topic interesting too. Although you might have been watching the programme on BBC1 HD or something, its just been upconverted, the studio is entirely SD (although the players for the wall output HD to the wall). I'm not sure if they've reshot the video since, but it certainly used to be possible to see boats appear from one side of the bridge, and other random things when it looped, although I guess that's a bit harder to see from home when a director keeps changing camera.

To answer the other bit of your question, some use is made of live background video in the down the line type studios, so the "Central London" one sometimes features live video, as do some of the regional ones.

To answer the other bit of your question, some use is made of live background video in the down the line type studios, so the "Central London" one sometimes features live video, as do some of the regional ones.

Is that how they handle different weather conditions? I guess if London was under 6 inches of snow, it would become pretty obvious straight away that it was pre-recorded.

There are the old classic bloopers clips showing birds flying into or walking infront of the cameras, so a fair few news agencies must be live. Must open a can of worms if something like a car accident was to occur in shot though.

A delay of 10-20 mins on the live feed can get you out of trouble. If you spot something coming up on the undelayed feed you cut to a shot where the background isn't visible.

Or if you're really clever you recorded yesterdays feed (or jump back an hour) and you cut that in (via a non background shot), then go back to live once its all sorted.

. Must open a can of worms if something like a car accident was to occur in shot though.

I've seen this happen on a broadcast somewhere, no time to search now but a Youtube search should find it if you're that way inclined...

If it's the one I'm thinking of, this wasn't a projection type video though, it was an actual car crashing into the actual studio.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqng1s2v9E

Archived