Martin 2500Hz

timtheenchanteruk

Afternoon!

Just wondering on anyones opinions on the 2500Hz, we used one for a production last week, and were un-impressed to say the least.

it was a last minute addition to a hire, and were assured it was up to the job, previously we have used an Antari X-310 and Jem K1, both of which we were happy with.

The unit was noisy, rather smoke machine like, even on low outputs, the low output was anything but, and seemed to give out bursts rather than a continuous low level, oh, and no DMX (which we were expecting, as we were told it was a similar machine to previous). the last point was an annoyance, but on the plus side the remote is handily on RJ45s, and had no objection to being shoved over 50M of cat5e

The units fan also seemed a little weak, with no control over this, if failed to push the haze out over any real distance, only 6 feet or so.

the hazer was on (I assume) the proper juice, having being supplied by the hire Co.

The unit was noisy, rather smoke machine like, even on low outputs, the low output was anything but, and seemed to give out bursts rather than a continuous low level, oh, and no DMX (which we were expecting, as we were told it was a similar machine to previous). the last point was an annoyance, but on the plus side the remote is handily on RJ45s, and had no objection to being shoved over 50M of cat5e

Glad Tom and I installed all that cat5 infrastructure! Assuming this was the show you did last week at YTH?

If it helps in the future, Futurist and ZigZag both have a couple of nice hazers. The Df50 from futurist is our preferred unit, but ZigZag have a nice new unit, forget the name.

yep, have had no problem with the previous offerings from them, but this was supposed to be an equivilent, that clearly wasnt...

that cat 5 has come in useful a couple of times.

see how you get on with the new fire system for the producers, we had it in pre-fire, the smoke detector at the top of the back stairs isnt disabled in "show mode" so you might want to keep the back stage doors shut.

Just wondered if the 2500Hz we had was a dud? seems poor for a £600 machine.

see how you get on with the new fire system for the producers, we had it in pre-fire, the smoke detector at the top of the back stairs isnt disabled in "show mode" so you might want to keep the back stage doors shut.

As your dad discovered before panto.... :D

I'm more concerned about what's going on under the stage and in the loft! Our new Freezefog pro really likes to fill under the stage, and that loft must have a few detectors in it.

I seem to recall there's only one local LD who managed to get that place into Full Fire mode regularly under the old alarm system, think he owre it as a bit of a badge of honour!. Let's see if it becomes a more regular occurance!

Back on topic, we had a similair "equivelant" machine a few years back. Equivelant except we'd wired for a DF50 (15A TRS from the dimmers) and got a DMX machine needing hard power and a DMX line, neither of which we had anywhere nearby. It wasn't the Martin unit, and I know we weren't particularly impressed with it!

Any more work that gets done in that place, I'll make sure we pull in some more cat5. Never know where you'll need a video screen, or ethernet, or anything else for that matter. I'd reccommend it to most venues actually. Just buy a box and pull some in with any new infrastructure, even if you don't terminate it straight away. Gonna make life much easier when I get my digital mixer..... :rolleyes:

... have had no problem with the previous offerings from them, but this was supposed to be an equivilent, that clearly wasnt...

*Snip*

Just wondered if the 2500Hz we had was a dud? seems poor for a £600 machine.

Nope, it's not a dud. They're all like that - and I share your poor opinion of this unit.

I was in a similar position in that I wanted - and still do want - a simple replacement for my aging Jem Technohaze, and I was promised the earth (From Martin, no less) with the 2500Hz.

Something along the lines of "Yes, this does exactly the same job but in an up to date unit."

Yeah, right!

Needed it in a hurry, didn't get a chance to get a demo, now ruing the day and trying to flog it off on Fleabay (I know, there is a moral in there somewhere!).

The Technohaze? Long in the tooth, but still chugging away. Once the innards have been steam cleaned and dried off, it should be good for a bit yet.

Had words with a Martin rep at Blacklight's wee tradeshow last month about it, but he wasn't interested. Apparently they have a range of new hazers coming out later this year, so we'll see what's on offer then.

Archived