PC Software for Audio Recording/Mixing

Bobbsy

I've been a user of Adobe Audition since the "Cool Edit 96" days have have always been a fan. I'm used to the software (like you get used to a well-fitting glove) and it does everything I need.

However, the next "upgrade" about to be released is anything but. Adobe have decided to totally re-write the software for Mac OS compatibility and, for all sorts of reasons, many of the existing features have been left out in the new version. Some of the things I use that will be missing are CD burning, track "grouping" in Multitrack and the Scientific Filters.

Beyond that, Adobe are playing with pricing so the "upgrade" which would cost me $99 in the USA will cost me almost Aus$180 down here in Australia, despite the Aussie dollar presently being worth more than the American one.

So, rather than simply upgrade, I've decided it's time to look at what other software is out there. My requirements are:

-Windows OS

-Multitrack recording and mixing

-Full range of inbuilt processing (EQ, Reverb, pitch shifting, dynamics, noise reduction etc. etc.)

-Good Editing facilities

MIDI sequencing isn't a major need. I don't do much of that and have other software available if I need it--but if it was built in, I might use it. However, I primarily need to work with Audio, not MIDI.

I already know about Audacity and Reaper but require something a bit more professional.

So...what are people using and what do you recommend?

Bob

I've been a confirmed Cubase user, and the audio side has got better and better. I too, was a Cool Edit fan, but although I do have Adobe production CS5 (and the older versions) in the video room, I never did like Audition or SoundBooth. For stereo editing I use Sony Soundforge - currently on Version 10 - I only use it for stereo, but while just checking the current price, I discovered it does multichannel too - I never knew it did this, using Cubase for multitrack work. Soundforge has really good processing - so time stretch and the other common audio tasks are quite transparent. I find it very quick and easy to use - although I've not tried multitrack with it yet - but will do.

Hi Bobbsy.

What hardware are you using with your recording software?

I am a hard and fast Cubase user, its what I was trained on, and what I have always used. But as is always the feedback from these types of posts, your going to get a plethora of different platform users trying to "pitch" their own experiences of what they are using.

I find that with modern OS based recording, if you don't have the hardware with assigning software drivers (I/O soundcards, USB/Firewire mixing, External Backup devices) then your really only limited to what your software can use.

Cubase is a simple platform to learn, and very powerful once you have learnt the basics. It is compatible with most types of Hardware, and the Tech Support is really good. However Protools (I have never used it) I am told is a much easier platform, because of Its MAC background its supposed to be less prone to crashing, and supports even more hardware types. You can then venture down the more budget routes of Logic (MAC OS system only ?I think?) you have already mentioned audacity and reaper.

So it all depends on what you want to do, personally if your looking to upgrade and spend cash on a system, I'd hold off on the upgrade while you try your hand with some of the demo versions of the software out there, until you find something which you are happy with, and feel you can transcend onto.

Cheers

Iain

My present hardware is a Yamaha DM1000 mixer with 2 MY16AT ADAT cards which feed into an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge and then via Firewire into a laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. I use a 1TB USB2 external drive for tracks; the software is on one of two internal HDDs. I have a partition with a "clean boot" that allows me to run the laptop with an absolute minimum of other background processes when doing sound work--it's about 3 years old now and has been a very stable, trouble free system.

I used to use Protools at work (for audio post working with video) and, at that point, really disliked the user interface. That was 10ish years ago now so maybe they've improved--but at that time I really much preferred my Cool Edit Pro at home.

I'm certainly not going to rush into a change but I'll certainly be downloading trial versions of any recommended software on my shortlist. I already have Soundforge Pro10 which I'm trying to come to grips with...but think maybe Cubase will be the next one to look at.

Bob

For the time being, yes I can and may well do so.

However, at some point in the medium term future, I'll have to upgrade my PC. The present version of Audition (3.01) doesn't properly use multicore processors and there have been numerous reported problems of compatibility between AA and Win7 64 bit versions. For those reasons, I'll eventually have to bite the bullet and either move to the newer version of Audition to match upgrades to my hardware and OS--or go to something else. I happen to have a project coming up in a few months that would be good for a "learning curve" (simple tracking and lots of mixing all by myself with nobody over my shoulder seeing me getting lost), hence my asking the question now.

Bob

I wouldn't dismiss Reaper as being 'unprofessional' just because it has a low price tag. As you know, I've been an Audition user since CEP 1.1, and Reaper does a much better job of multi-track recording and mixing than Audition ever did.

James.

+1 for reaper, I used to use samplitude which is also good until I decided to give reaper a go for a live multitrack recording job. I don’t think I will ever go back after using it for about 18 months now.

My live setup is similar to yours with a Yamaha 02R linked to an M-Audio Profire interface so everything should work just fine.

The other plus point is reaper is 100% free to try with no limitations so why not give it a go

I'll add another vote for reaper, I've just used it to record a live cast album of our school show, it's a lovely lean piece of software and can do a lot of stuff you've mentioned (including pitch shift). I really like it for everything I need.

Josh

If you have time and a spare machine you might try Ubuntu Studio. FWIW the accepted(?) practice with distros is to run a long term support version. Granted the s/w is of the OS variety but some of the progs may answer your needs:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntustudio

And FWIW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-ok_GcPRI

I have been using Linux (99% Ubuntu distros) for nearly 4yrs and never missed the nonsense with the daily anti virus update thing and similar. No registry to worry about and virtually all new software is from a repository (sort of guaranteed nasties free software bank), installed by password only.

I use the Linux version of Audacity which is fine for my needs but there are the usual issues about importing proprietary files such as mp3s. You can translate the files if need be.

(Just by the by, I have tried running a rehearsal off Audacity, which was fine, but the caveat is and always will be how fast you can recover from a crash, albeit a slim chance in Linux (the crash I mean, not the recovery, ** laughs out loud **) as in the reboot and then reload Audacity, then the sound files etc,etc.)

you realised he said

* windows os

* not audacity

* not reaper

I fly the flag for linux myself, but there's a time and a place for that.

to be honest bobbsy, there isn't much else out there, I don't think. I'm personally all for keeping with audition, admittedly I haven't tried soundforge yet, but audacity just doesn't cut it for me.

Archived