Parcel delivery for the heavier items

lightsource

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a clearout soon, and need a parcel delivery service, so just wondering who you guys think are the best / most competitive out there at the moment.

I'm probably not looking for next day delivery (although the option may be handy), a 3 day service should probably be ok.

I'm based in the middle of 2 major Industrial Estates, so most carriers go past us on a daily basis.

The smaller items, I'll probably use Royal mail, but I also have some larger items around 20-50Kg+, or unusual dimensions (think lighting stands) and these items are what I'm looking for a carrier for.

I have used 'interparcel.com' for a wide range of sizes and weights and they have always come up with a carrier. not sent stands but have sent some long trussing(2m) with no problem and weights of over 40kg.

+1 for interparcel, I used them quite a lot a year or so ago when I had lots of stuff to sell and send on ebay. Very reasonable - particularly their 48 hour services. I only really had issues with DHL through them. A box I'd sent to a big company got sent back because it was damaged on delivery. The second time I sent the repackaged box, the buyer told me he had seen the driver drop the package (possibly because it was heavy-ish), thus damaging the box. I also had a box with a a strand 300 in it left on the doorstep of a buyer, without permission of the buyer. the courier claimed it had been delivered, even sent me a signature, which the buyer proved to be false. Didn't get any where with compensation though. I used TNT through them for any further delivery.

Neil

UPS through Interparcel is my standard preference. Reasonable price and I trust UPS more than some of the others.

On the subject of the carrier named after a certain explosive, I have heard it said that their vans often look like a stick of their namesake has gone off in the back after loading.

I have heard it said that their vans often look like a stick of their namesake has gone off in the back after loading.

You want to see the back of mine after a 'hasty' load-out, bow down and worship the mighty flightcase that protects us all :D

I used to use the 'dynamite' (Or ACDC song of the same name...)company years ago, and to be honest never had a problem with them, although they were a bit expensive on next day, compared to Securicor at the time (Yes, I said it was a long time ago!).

The main reason I put this topic up, was because I asked for a basic quote using their (TNT if anyone hasn't guessed yet) on-line price calculator, and the quote came back at £153.00 for 40Kg from my location to Liverpool. It was a hypothetical quote, as I was just after a guide price, but nearly fell off my chair and spat coffee at the screen, when I saw the price......I could deliver the bl00dy parcel myself cheaper than that, and that's with an empty return journey.

Thanks for the info so far!

Try www.parcel2go.com I've always had good prices from them.

Josh

I had a problem with said company recently - which a member of this forum will be too familiar with! I sent 3 Leko's out via this company along with some other bits, 1 Leko got lost and it then took me months and months to get compensation out of them.

Said Leko is still lost somewhere!

Thanks for all the advice,

Have found this -

Interparcel Pallet service.

http://www.interparcel.com/pallet/?gclid=CNWAwuPtvagCFQEZ4QodeFdTpQ

Anyone used their Pallet service before? Would bee lookng at the medium or large pallet. The dimensions may be a bit tight, but useable.

Edit to add, anyone know of a similar service that accepts larger pallets (over 1 x 1.2m)

I've booked pallets on line at http://www.etsltd.co.uk/online/quote.asp and had no problems. The way pallets seem to work is a network of local and national haulage companies who shuffle stuff between themselves depending who's going where at the time, so the company you book it with may never touch the pallet!

Not tried interparcel's pallet service, but keep an eye on prices for parcels. I think they're cheaper than booking direct with the bigger carriers, but if you're after a cheap service for small low value items, they'll come up with Hermes as the cheapest option. Hermes did the job no problems but I discovered afterwards it would have been 20% cheaper to book it direct....

Josh

I had a problem with said company recently - which a member of this forum will be too familiar with! I sent 3 Leko's out via this company along with some other bits, 1 Leko got lost and it then took me months and months to get compensation out of them.

They are re-selling the services of a number of large courier firms though so they're as good (or as crap) as the particular courier you book the parcel with, I booked collection of a large box by the yellow three lettered courier company through parcel2go and they failed to collect so parcel2go re-booked it with the "explosive" three lettered orange courier company free of charge for me.

David.

Josh

They are re-selling the services of a number of large courier firms though so they're as good (or as crap) as the particular courier you book the parcel with, I booked collection of a large box by the yellow three lettered courier company through parcel2go and they failed to collect so parcel2go re-booked it with the "explosive" three lettered orange courier company free of charge for me.

David.

I should've explained in more detail - it took me ages to sort out the loss claim. They kept passing me onto the courier and told me I had to escalate it with them, whereas the courier were (as you can imagine) saying the opposite!

Bit of a nightmare. But then, I'm sure I'm just one of a very minor group of people!

Whoever you use, clarify the insurance if you're sending anything you can't really afford to lose. Some of the online booking agents have woefully low compensation deals compared with the direct book alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

Disclaimer: This is not deformation of character or industrial slander, this is based on what happened!

Dont use UKMail. They dropped a Hippoitzer HD, (total write off) and trashed one of my amps. They assumed that as it was in a flight case it could be chucked about. They also refused to payout on insurance on both events as apparently a shock mounted flightcase was insufficient packaging. They expected bubblewrap on the flightcase.

Still having a legal battle with them!

Rant over.

They also refused to payout on insurance on both events as apparently a shock mounted flightcase was insufficient packaging. They expected bubblewrap on the flightcase.

Still having a legal battle with them!

Rant over.

In a previous job I had that with tnt a few years ago. A forklift put its forks through a mac case, I argued and got the cost of the flightcase paid in full.

An earlier poster was commenting on their one off prices, they have akways charged like that. If you have an account and agree to minimum parcels per month the prices are more competitive.

Aside from my earlier comment I found them one ofthe better parcel delivery companies.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.parcel2go.com they cost less then going to the carrers.

TNT will take upto 50kg for £8.95 plus vat

DHL HOME and HDNL are now called Yodel both DHL home and HDNL are the iffy carrers in the UK so keep away from Yodel with items worth Money or if you need 100% sure it will get there on time.

Archived