Source 4 profile. One size fits all

MrBoomal

Hello all

After reading the thread about ETC' s new fresnel, it dawned on me that quite often I will light a show only using S4 profiles.

With lens angles of 5 - 90 degrees they cover more or less all eventualities. On practically all stages.

Anybody else do the same ?

I know that on many West End productions S4 profiles are the only generics now used.

With lens angles of 5 - 90 degrees

It's not exactly one size fits all is it?

Maybe "one brand fits all" The S4 is certainly my favourite profile. I'm not sure I'm ready to drop Fresnel, Par or Cyc flood completely from the design toolbox just yet.

Wasn't considering cyc floods in my comment.

Still use pars in concerts. But for drama, musical theatre etc there isn't much they can't do.

I would have said the same as you about fresnels a year ago, but with a 36 degree or 50 degree lens, soft focussed and with a bit of #132 in , it hard to tell the difference.

Plus you have the advantages of cheaper to gel. Less lightly to burn out gels and in my opinion they handle darker colours better.

Also there are no annoying corridors of light between two barn doors.

I still use other lanterns on occasion but s4 pro's are the last fixture I would want to give up.

Well, most shows now are tending to use moving wash fixtures to replace PARs and fresnels and there is a lot of led replacing cycs and battens.

A shame really, one of my favourite bits of design is the wonderful use of generics in Blood Brothers (not the touring version, thats a travesty, a beautiful design ruined by careless replotting and insensitive use of movers). The London version still has banks and banks of Cantata profiles and 2k fresnels.

Touring is slightly different tho, in town, time was available for a full generic rig and not forgetting how long ago it was originally staged.

The touring show has mostly 1 week runs with 1 day fit-up with a show the same night. Their is very little time to rig and focus a fully generic rig, at least when it has moving lights, re-plotting can be done over other things without the needs for taking way parts of the stage where the tolly is.

[quote name='J Pearce' timestamp='1302970378' post='390927

A shame really, one of my favourite bits of design is the wonderful use of generics in Blood Brothers

ditto 'Phantom' which I would say, is a lot better (in terms of example of lighting design only using generics)

Hersey's original design for 'Les Miserables' at the Palace in LGWE is a classic, lit mainly with SIL profiles.

I am not sure who lit the West End 'Blood Brothers', but the tour is currently designed by Mark Howett, and as has been mentioned is all moving light overhead, all discharge sources apart from the Coda bar upstage. The set, once built, is not the most generic focus friendly set, therefore the use if movers overhead. It fits up on a Sunday, opens on a Monday and gets out on a Saturday night. And has done pretty much for the last sixteen years.

Archived