multi screen video 1 in 4 out

Im looking into a video solution for a production next year, no space to rear project, VERY limited space to front project.

Im looking at a couple of possible solutions, one projector to project, but would need some MAJOR keystone correction, the projector would be in the region of 45-60degree down wards.

4 projectors, could keep the keystone less in the top 2, and side keystone for the bottom 2, not sure how that would work.

Or 4 (or more) large LCDs/Plasma, the resolution would need to be pretty good, the front row are only 25ish feet away, so most LED video walls would just look like dots.

How would I take one image, probably from a PC, DVI or VGA and split it into its required parts for multiple screens/projectors? is there a box that will do it? and whats it called, so I can look for it? the splitters I have looked at are just that they split one input to 4 identical outputs.

or would I need a media server/similar outputting multiple video feeds (or is it worth building one??)

so many questions, if anyone has some good resources on this, I would gladly read, all the video work done to press has been single image source (ie vis mixer) to single (or identical) screens.

You can get projectors that will mount around 50CM away from the screen and use a convex mirror to make the image work, they're probably worth investigating.

edit: this sort of thing: http://www.hitachiultimateprojector.com/

we have ones like that at uni and my church has one. Not sure of the make though and I'm not commenting on that one in particular, just an example.

What size screen do you need to achieve? We have the Christie MicroTiles in stock, which would provide a screen viewable from very close, but requiring minimal viewing distance. We have done 108 Tiles (5m x 3m approx) in the last week that looked stunning.

Each Tile is 12"x10" and 12" deep. They draw 100w, so a 8'x6' needs about 20 Amps. Effective resolution is 720x540, so that isn't going to be an issue. Built from the ground up like stacking lego Bricks, and then an ECU that drives the content into the 'Tiles Array. They do look stunning, though I am biased! I'd be happy to do a quote for you. I can point you to some video footage and images, but as they're on a colleagues FB page, I'm not going to broadcast it in an open forum... Alternatively have a look at our website.

Another option might be Seamless Plasma/LCD wall, though these do have a small Bezel between each panel.

Another route could be Catalyst (Or your preferred flavour of Media Server) with multiple outputs, driving content to each of the projectors and then applying the keystone to it in the Server.

Feel free to give me a call or email if you want to discuss the various options.

Hi Tim

Thinking locally, ZigZag have the Robe digispots in their hire stock. Whilst they're vastly over complicated for what you need, they're just on your doorstep and their built in media servers will sort out the split quite easily. I've never done 4 spots as quarters of an image, but we've certainly managed 2 or 3 side by side. It takes a fair while to set up mind. I'm reasonably sure they'll let you do 4 quarters (though they've only got 3 in stock). It's a very weighty solution if you're hanging the things. Definately overkill but they're there!

In terms of your split if using normal projectors, the matrox triple and double head boxes have worked well too. Again they only allow you to do one horizontal row, but they are at least pretty simple pieces of kit.

Which venue are we talking about here?

What about building a computer (or adapting an existing one) by adding in 2 dual head graphics cards (giving you 4 outputs) and then using some software, such as screen monkey, to control it all?

I'm not sure if Screen Monkey can control four monitors, I've only ever used it with one external, but it might be an option?

Thinking about it, you'd need 5 outputs with screen monkey - one for the control surface and then four for the actual output.

EDIT: Thinking about it - if you went the Matrox Dual/Tripe head option, you could have two and use one of each "row"?

The generic answer to what sort of box you need to split the image is a Videowall Processor. If you google the term you will find quite a few manufacturers and distributors: costs are broadly a function of the number of outputs (generally from four upwards) and the resolution. Some of the cheap and second hand ones are video only rather than the XGA plus you need. They all basically do the same thing: take an incoming signal and in real time carve up the image into a matrix, each bit feeding a different display at full screen size.

You dont say what size screen, but as far as the splitter goes

datapath x4 - http://www.datapath.co.uk/products/multi-display-controller will do overlapping and underlapping splits with rotation, that way if you mount 3 lfds side by side portrait and compensate for the bezels and do the rotation, or split 4 projectors ..

id go for 4 hitachi cpa 300 http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/product.do?actionName=showProductAction&pt=6&pg=86&proid=730&language=en&country=GB these have advanced image geometry correction and are smaller than the older models. Also if you put a unit on the floor, the image bottom is a fair bit up, the same true of inverted units, so you may manage to do a but jointed 2/2 grid with 2 floor, 2 flown.

Hippo or catalyst will do the content delivery, splits, geometry, and blends, but you still need something to split the output into 4...

This is just the sort of nonesense we involve ourselves in so feel free to get in touch...

Archived