Warehouse Cable Storage/Rackin

Dave SA

Hi there. How does everyone store their cables at their units / in their stores? Looking to see how everyone else does it as we are remodelling the interior of our unit before the end of this tax year.

Cheers,

Dave Morgan.

I'm coming to the resolution that I either have to get a fabricator involved or build something from scaff. To be honest I'm not sure what I think is the best option. Buying and using something like the racking in your link will add up to one rather large bill.

As you'll see in the video, White Light use racking fashioned from scaff and Kee clamps for all their cable. The obvious advantage is that you can customise the racking for what it will store - more pegs for short lengths of TRS, and less pegs/more space for long multicore, for example.

Almost everyone I've seen uses alloy/steel pipe and kee clamps to make their racks.

The parts are readily available and cheap plus you can make them any shape or size you want and easily change them at a later stage.

I moved storage last year and re-used every piece of the racks to make new ones.

Mine are braced between floor and ceiling, I've also seen it done tied to a wall or as a double-sided free-standing structure.

Ian

Yeah, we use scaff and Key clamps for all our cabling... with scaff feet we then drill them into the floor and use right angled bits of scaff as braces to keep it straight when you apply weight. Obviously, dependant on the type of cable, if its say socapex or 125a etc you'll need good bracing as it needs to hold more weight!

Another vote here for scaff, it's flexible, adaptable as your needs change and relatively cheap. I have built three lighting warehouses over the years, up to 30,00 sq ft, and we always went for scaff. A couple of points though...

Use steel not ally, it's stronger and cheaper.

Kee Klamp type couplers are best, but are more expensive than standard scaff clips. Scaff clips have protruding bolts etc, you WILL catch yourself or your clothes on them at some point! Your choice.

Watch the weight! 8 30m soca cables weigh the best part of 150kg, you can very easily get to the point where you are talking tons of kit not exactly above your head, but you don't want your racks to collapse on you!

Don't make the cable arms too long, you have a turning effect about the clamp, and the longer the lever the more the force on the coupler.

Sounds obvious, but heavy cables go at the bottom, lighter stuff above. You don't want to be lifting heavy cables above your head all the time and it makes the fully loaded rack more stable. Think what will happen if all the cables from the lower arms are out on a show but the top arms are full... Will the structure become unstable in this situation?

I would reccomend a regular inspection/tightening regime, bolts work loose over time.

Somewhere I have some drawings of some cable racks I built over ten years ago, if I find them I'll post a link.

Mike

Archived