Drum mics

chrisjdavies

I'm looking to get my old band back together to do a one night only gig. Only problem I have is the drummer no longer speaks to three of the members so is refusing to play. In the mean time I've put a new band together so the drummer of the new band will play in his place. The big difference is my previous band played with big amps and a HK Audio Actor DX with top desk, top 31 band eq and so on (I now own this system). My new band just uses the singers pa for vocals.

I want the old band to sound just the same as we did before splitting so have no choice but to mic the drums again. I don't want to go to the previous drummer to borrow his so I'm looking for advice on some good mics for live sound. I'd like options for kick, snare, toms and possibly overheads.

Thanks in advance.

If it's a one-nighter, and you want the old sound - then why not just hire a complete decent system. Whatever you do, without the scale of the old system, the new one just won't cut it - because your memory will tell you it's not good.

With a less than excellent PA budget - then very often, you can get away with much cheaper mics on drums than you'd expect, as long as the desk eq is good. A cheap overhead or two from the budget condenser ranges works great and 57s or similar will be fine. Kick can even be quite good with a budget dynamic in it as long as you prefer the clicky, rather than low thud type of kick.

The old system will be used again. When my original band decided to split I managed to convince them the pa wouldn't selling very well because of the recession so I had one major bargin and that's why I want some good mics for the drums.

If it's a one-nighter, and you want the old sound - then why not just hire a complete decent system. Whatever you do, without the scale of the old system, the new one just won't cut it - because your memory will tell you it's not good.

With a less than excellent PA budget - then very often, you can get away with much cheaper mics on drums than you'd expect, as long as the desk eq is good. A cheap overhead or two from the budget condenser ranges works great and 57s or similar will be fine. Kick can even be quite good with a budget dynamic in it as long as you prefer the clicky, rather than low thud type of kick.

It's going to be mainly rock music and nothing heavier than that.

what style of music? theres lots of different approaches to how many mics, where to put them and what mics to use- what makes a drum kit sound great in a jazz group wont work for thrash metal.

Archived