DECT Phones

An interesting thought has just whacked me in the face:

Since standard consumer DECT phones are plummeting in price, and on almost all of them you can make duplex calls between handsets, AND headsets are available for some (BT branded I think), could they be used as a budget (probably short term) replacement for wireless cans?

I apologise for my youthful enhusiasm, I'm still "riding the buzz" of rigging my first light. (I know, I know, I won't enjoy it as much when I have to hang 50 in an hour...)

EDIT: Unfortunately, I don't think that you can have conversations between more than 1 internal caller

my panasonic DECTs were about £80/base station with 1 handset + £40 per extra handset when I bought them a few years back. They accept any headset with a 2.5mm plug (mono speaker and mono mic as its a 3 way plug). I can intercom between the 2 handsets full duplex. I think you can also do 3 way but as I only have 2 handsets I can't check...

An interesting thought has just whacked me in the face:

Since standard consumer DECT phones are plummeting in price, and on almost all of them you can make duplex calls between handsets, AND headsets are available for some (BT branded I think), could they be used as a budget (probably short term) replacement for wireless cans?

I apologise for my youthful enhusiasm, I'm still "riding the buzz" of rigging my first light. (I know, I know, I won't enjoy it as much when I have to hang 50 in an hour...)

EDIT: Unfortunately, I don't think that you can have conversations between more than 1 internal caller

We actually sell a little 1U 19" rackmounting unit called CompuCALL that will interface DECT phones to any ClearCom compatible ring intercom system, so you can use your standard wired system and then have a couple of wireless phones that work on it also.

But, that's just the start, you can also connect it to a telephone line and dial in to it (with a security code) from anywhere in the world to see how the show is going.

If that wasn't enough it also has 2 x DMX outputs so you can use the DECT phone as a radio riggers control and/or dial into your lighting rig from anywhere in the world.

So, all you need is a web cam on the show and you can run the show from home ;)

Archived