Webcam Timelapse...

andrewg112

After reading this thread I thought I would give it a go. I tried gawker and my webcam, but the low resolution put me off from using it for my actual rig-lapse.

So I had a little hunt around to see how I could do it with my Canon EOS 1000D, which lead me to the Canon EOS Utility Software, which is free with any cannon DSLR. This software has some nifty tricks up it's sleeve including tethered shooting, and an interval timer.

The video bellow is final output after my mate from uni had stitched together the 782 pictures, taken over 5 hours.

Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMned8JHYK4

Looks like an easy gig http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif Nice work on the shoot!

After reading this thread I thought I would give it a go. I tried gawker and my webcam, but the low resolution put me off from using it for my actual rig-lapse.

So I had a little hunt around to see how I could do it with my Canon EOS 1000D, which lead me to the Canon EOS Utility Software, which is free with any cannon DSLR. This software has some nifty tricks up it's sleeve including tethered shooting, and an interval timer.

The video bellow is final output after my mate from uni had stitched together the 782 pictures, taken over 5 hours.

Enjoy :)

[//media]

[/media]

Looks like an easy gig http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif Nice work on the shoot!

It was fairly easy lighting terms, the main big problems we had were not in the studio but out on our OB, which happened to be on the room of the building, where cable runs back to the CAR / studio were about 150m which is getting close to sync and picture loss lengths in HD-SDI. All was fixed in the end, before our RX time.

I'm glad you like the time-lapse :)

Gotta love load ins where half the crew are in hard hats and half aren't....

I've tended to use the Int Rec feature on the Sonys before. I typically set to around 2s/Minute for time lapses if I'm going on tape, but to be honest its been a while since I did a time-lapse!

One of the crew did one at on a show on Thursday using his DSLR I believe. I'll see if I can get a copy and post it here.

+1 for the IP cam solution. Managed to grab an old Axis camera off eBay for pence and set it up to do 10 second uploads to FTP. Quality isn't great but unless you need an HD timelapse it's perfectly useable! Instant setup anywhere where there's an internet connection too!

Ben

Archived