Good Quality Cable and Connectors

d.breeze

Hello

Every six months a guitar cable breaks, and I get annoyed because it has sealed plugs so I can't repair it myself, so I go to a crap music shop and buy another crap cable which breaks after 6 months and the cycle goes on. When dealing with signal and power cables professionaly I take much more care and often make the cables myself out of good quality components. So I intend to go down this route for once with guitar cables and I was going to go with van dam cable and neutrik plugs, but before I do, does anyone have any other recommendations? All I need is two core cable and 2-pole jack plugs.

Cheers

I've used a Planet Waves lead now for 6 years (and I mean basically everyday) Fantastically made and have only had one problem.

The cable had become broken at one end of the lead so I chopped the bad cable off and refitted the connector. The connectors are push on the screwed into the cable, no soldering at all.

Link

My lead had a build is circuit breaker too so I could silently change between my bass and double bass, and also mute the guitar when not playing

Yes the initial price for my 6m was £25, 6 years ago, but when you compare it to the hundred or so I would have used, it was a great saving

Bert

You really can't go wrong with Van damme and Neutrik, and if you can solder its job done. You don't even have to insist on two core just use some spare mic cable leaving one core unsoldered. There are a great number of premade cables by various different brands which are supposed to be the best most noiseless longest lasting etc but at the end of the day if you are in our business you should have an inkling on what cables and connectors you trust and go with that.

As an aside haven't bought a guitar cable for years, just rely on the ones the bands leave behind after a gig.

You don't even have to insist on two core just use some spare mic cable leaving one core unsoldered.

Be careful doing this... 99% of the time it will probably be fine, but an electric guitar is a high impedance source and using the wrong cable longer than a few metres can cause issues in some circumstances. Proper instrument cable is designed for high impedance lines and constructed accordingly.

On the subject of Neutrik jacks, Neutrik silent jacks are good if you can pick them up at a good price. They short the input of the amp as you unplug them, effectively muting the amp, so no crackles as you unplug and plug in. Van Damme "classic instrument cable" is sensibly priced and tough, stands up to be trodden on, and handles and coils nicely.

I've used a Planet Waves lead now for 6 years (and I mean basically everyday) Fantastically made and have only had one problem.

The cable had become broken at one end of the lead so I chopped the bad cable off and refitted the connector. The connectors are push on the screwed into the cable, no soldering at all.

I've always used planet waves...and they break, maybe I abuse them too much. I've got moulded connectors on so I cant cut and shut like you suggested (I normally do it with damaged XLRs). Unless I'm missing a trick, how exactly do you detach and reattach a planet waves jack plug?

On the subject of Neutrik jacks, Neutrik silent jacks are good if you can pick them up at a good price. They short the input of the amp as you unplug them, effectively muting the amp, so no crackles as you unplug and plug in. Van Damme "classic instrument cable" is sensibly priced and tough, stands up to be trodden on, and handles and coils nicely.

I'm not a fan of those silent plugs, it's too much to go wrong. It also means that once it is plugged in there could be a world of noise suddenly coming through the amp. I always mute my pedals after my guitar so I physically controll when there is and isn't make noise. So when swapping instruments I am not unmuted until I am ready to play the first note.

I think I will definitely check out those cables from canford though...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a MASSIVE pile of the Cheaper Neutrik silent jacks, REAN badged I believe which are the Chinese manufactured ones. They work well but they're not the sort of things that I use alot of, I probably have a stock of 100+, don't suppose anyone wants to purchase any, I can be paid in beer or curry.

Rob

Archived