Where to buy 240v 5A plugs and sockets?

grantr22

Hello all, as many will know some venues typically schools and public halls that had lighting rigs installed in the 70s & 80s (often Furse) had 5A connectors instead of 15A. So I'm needing to buy some plugs and sockets to make up various combinations of adaptors. I've done some googling and the plugs are available at CPC (though in white plastic not black rubber http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=411+500001+1001903&Ntk=gensearch_003&Ntt=round+pin&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial ) but I can't find any trailing sockets.

Does anyone know where I can buy everything 5A? (Some 5A grelcos or similar would also be very useful http://www.vikinglighting.co.uk/catalogue/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=42&products_id=81 ).

Google also revealed that this former british standard for domestic mains is still standard in countries such as India, Pakistan and Kuwait so in theory everything should still be available even if international buying is the only option. Ebay hasn't come up trumps so far.

Thanks

Literally just found that site by co-incidence, thanks Junior8. Anyone else know of another supplier?

AJS sell into the school sector so will usually have stocks of this sort of gear. I threw all mine away about fifteen years ago!

I think I must have at least 10 trailing sockets and a pile of plugs in the shed somewhere. Mixture of perma plugs and duraplugs from memory.

Almost chucked them the other day but think I still have them

Interested in any secondhand one s? - PM me

India, Pakistan, South Africa and other former British colonies still use the old 15 amp plugs and sockets, but AFAIK dont widely use the 5 amp version.

These are however still available from several UK suppliers as posted above.

Apart from theatre use, the 5 amp plugs are still used d0m3sticly in luxury homes for table lamps and the like, normally controlled by a switch by the door so as to avoid the irksome task of walking accross the room to turn the lamp on/off.

Also used in office and hotel reception areas for lamps, partly to stop people unplugging them in order to charge cellphones or laptop computers.

:D I have a number of used rubber clad 5a plugs,if they are any good to you pm me,cost = donation to our company.Some are black some white but no plastic.Let me know if any use, regards Roy

Archived