Nexo GeoS12 XTA presets?

Alex_C

Hey guys wonder if anyone can help me. One of the companies I freelance for has just bought a GeoS12 rig and for compatability with existing systems/infrastructure they intend to use it with XTA processing and Lab Gruppen amps but due to Nexo wanting people to buy their own controler/amps they refuse to give out the preset info for the boxes so before I have to tit about with SAT live/SMAART and an anechoic chamber I was wondering if anyone on here knows the settings and would be willing to send them to me?

Many thanks in advance, Alex

I would say that is a very foolish intention. You will not get it right. If you need to meet riders engineers will come and not be happy that you aren't processing the boxes correctly. Couldn't they at least buy the Geo S12 TD controller to process the boxes and then use the XTA's for system eq and alignment? I see no problem using the Lab Gruppens as amps assuming they are powerful enough. Camco would be the norm from what I have seen and used or VZ's, but if you are not planning on cross renting then no biggie.

but due to Nexo wanting people to buy their own controler/amps they refuse to give out the preset info for the boxes

While I'm no fanboy, it's not just Nexo's commercial self-interest in trying to flog their own kit that's the issue here. The whole Nexo system concept relies of controllers which monitor amplifier output using the sense lines and commensurately modify the inputs to protect the speakers and change the eq of the rig. If you fail to implement proper protection then you'll not only risk invalidating the warranty and damage the boxes, but also you'll end up with a very different (not good different) sounding rig.

If you're opposed to that sort of concept, then perhaps moving towards another manufacturer in the long term might be beneficial. If you're looking to use the XTAs in this rig, at least use them in conjunction with the correct TD controller, like waster said.

Doesn't work guys. We have been distributing Nexo since 1994 and have seen the results of this folly many times.

What you have to realise is that whilst some manufacturers simply add EQ to get their boxes sounding right, Nexo don't do that. They never have done. Their processors are really complex. There's a hell of a lot going on in there that the XTA's simply can't replicate. EQ slides, so do crossover points. There are sliding EQ's in there that offer protection chaping to *just* those frequencies that could be damaging to the box. Each controller has a map of the loudspeaker it is intended to be connected to and as a result knows exactly what to do when the box is stressed.

The net result of not using the controllers is that you blow up the loudspeakers and HF drivers - it's that simple. We repair the stuff - see it every day. No controller - speakers are damaged. You will even find that if you use a "standard" eq curve that you have "measured" that they will sound weird.

Nexo is not trying to "push its processors". They are offered because they work and get the best out of the system. I notice you're mentioning the GEO system here. If you use the cardioid subs is *impossible* to get them to work without the processor. No amount of jigging with an XTA or other processor will cause the LF to be directed to the front of the box and not the rear! Nexo can't give out their "preset" info as there isn't any they can give. It's NOT an eq curve.

You guys just have to accept that the processors are as important as a good microphone or high quality mixing console. There really is no alternative that works as well.

thanks guys... It wasn't a purchase I was involved in I was just asked to make it work. I'll let them know and see where I get.

they're not using the nexo subs as they're already got a stack of double 18's on Lab 14000's

Ill add to this thread, and you know what im going to say.

Currently I freelance for a large install company, we install a hell of alot of Nexo, and believe me when I say without the controllers for the boxes they sound somewhere between shocking and awful

As Gary says, inside the controllers there's dynamic eq, theres impedance sensing, theres dynamic control, control of the drivers, there is no way this can be replicated, certainly via XTA units.

We have done complex things within soundweb to try and replicate what TD controllers do for PS range, but tbh its quicker easier, and safer to get the real mccoy.

When you buy Nexo and the likes, your buying into a system, a bit like BMW- spend £50K on a new one, take it to dodgy daves MOT and your beamer isnt worth a sausage, take it to BMW for a service retention of price happens!

Dont scrimp, if youve splashed out countless thousands on Nexo kit, another couple of hundred allows it to perform as it should and really make you proud of the name badge.

dan

• 2 weeks later...

For all you die-hards out there, there is an article outlining how the Nexo Processors work on our web site.

Just go to:

http://www.fuzion.co.uk/Support/TechArticles/Tech_Article15.aspx

Could be useful if you're thinking of *not* using a controller!

I think this is where the new XTA548 would come in handy ;)

How so? It still won't have the Nexo software. It will cost at least as much as the correct processor without having the built in presets for the Nexo speakers. When Nexo releases the data for other processors, like EAW has done with their "focussed" presets, other processors will be an alternative. Till then, not so much.

Mac

• 4 weeks later...

For all you die-hards out there, there is an article outlining how the Nexo Processors work on our web site.

Just go to:

http://www.fuzion.co.uk/Support/TechArticles/NexoTDControllers.aspx?Title=Nexo%20TD%20Controllers

Could be useful if you're thinking of *not* using a controller!

We've updated some of our web article links. The new one is shown above.

Archived