Analogue desk gathering dust in warehouse

ghance

Hi,

So I've got a DDA CS8 28+4 which hasn't left the warehouse in a year. Its a great desk, a Midas Verona but better, and we've had some fun times together over the years. But she doesn't go out any more.. tempted as I am to hang on to her for that install job or stage 4 at a wee festival.. truth is her days are numbered.

What are you guys doing with analogue.. selling it on at best price you can get, or holding on to one or two for matters arising?

thanks

.gh

We are actually seeing good use of our digital and analogue desks.... but only because we heavily discount for analogues...

More so we can be competitive with prices when chasing a contract.. but obviously it would be desk with no outboard etc etc..

So much of the jobs here are just paying absolute peanuts.. that we'lll do it with no eqs etc etc but the client knows what that means... they are very "price drive" jobs... of which there are many here.

Can you afford to keep this desk? If the answer is yes, then keep her.......after all she is good desk and has a very proud association with probably the finest live desks on the planet. ;)

If you sell the desk then you must be prepared to sub-hire for Luddites ( :angry: ) who ask for analogue on occasion, like festivals. Many engineers (especially at FOH) prefer analogue at festivals because using digital requires a certain amount of co-operative footwork to have a happy outcome for everybody. This usually involves sending your desk file to the PA provider to make sure that the file is compatible; with so many updates flying around there are inevitable tears when an engineer barrels up with a 15 minute changeover in front of them and there is a software conflict. It is NOT fun doing a mix on the fly on digital.

For me I have had the highly irritating experience of trying to get provider information from a promoter who just sent me a PA spec on a .pdf sheet with no provider information on it at all and will not answer my emails in supplying the information either, so I turn up and hope for the best.

I have no idea what your hire stock is but if you offered a DDA or a LS9/M7CL I would go for the DDA, absolutely no question about it. It's about quality over convenience for me.

Reliability yes -

I'd say ease of use no. Lack of features maybe!

Personally it's easier for me now to build a 20-odd channel mix with an LS9 than a big desk and rack of outboard. And that's when I've finished patching everything!

As one of those "Luddites" :rolleyes: I believe you should definitely keep it. It will be used.

Didn't he say it hasn't left the warehouse in a year? It's great to keep bits of kit like that certainly, but maybe it just doesn't make good business sense.

Maybe sell it to someone who will use it more... I'm not mentioning the 'L' word :)

Exactly my point.. Where is the business sense in holding onto kit that don't go out anymore. Might as well sell on before it becomes a quaint novelty of how we used to mix bands in the previous century. I'm holding onto it as I'm fond of the noises it makes rather than the money it makes.

So I've got a DDA CS8 28+4 which hasn't left the warehouse in a year. Its a great desk, a Midas Verona but better, and we've had some fun times together over the years. But she doesn't go out any more.. tempted as I am to hang on to her for that install job or stage 4 at a wee festival.. truth is her days are numbered.

The economics don't stack up. For example I could do with a desk like that as a sub mixer for all the percussion in the universe where my main FOH is an M7CL for a week over easter however I can't afford the several hundred pounds it would end up costing even if you were hiring it on next to no margin due to cost of preping, checking back in, delivery and the dreaded VAT and so on.

If you really want to get rid of old kit, I have a PA rig that I go out with for charity gigs and to help out young bands in the North Wiltshire area. I've been doing this since being made unemployed in July 2008. I'm not a business, nor do I take business away from any legitimate rental companies. But we all know that we need to nurture young talent and in these terrible days of attrition it's very rare that bands get paid any reasonable rate in the early days so can't afford to buy or hire PA kit. I'm trying to build my kit up to carry on, but it's not easy with little income, so if anybody is clearing out, don't skip it, call me on 07512 494958 and it'll go to a good home and will help out young bands to kick off their careers!

Cheers!

Brian Keen

Exactly my point.. Where is the business sense in holding onto kit that don't go out anymore.

The key thing to factor into this decision is how much your storage space is costing you. It wouldn't be worth expanding your warehouse or moving somewhere bigger just so you can keep hold of all the stuff that only goes out every once in a while. On the other hand, you could sell something off and end up having to spend the proceeds on sub-hire. It's hard to predict what you might need in future.

For us, it seems to have been worth the hassle of utilizing some of the more out of the way parts of our warehouse for kit that doesn't move much. However, it's always under review. Of course, it's far easier to keep hold of smaller items.

Archived