Behringer digital desk

audio

Just got home from an amazing christian carol concert where I got to play with a brand new one of THESE - and I got paid to do it!

Some sound techs came to watch and slagged off the equiptment, 'its behringer you know.' Just wondering if anyone has used one - I'm now thinking about buying one, for £700 I think its a bargain, if a bit slow to set up. But is the quality ok?

John.

Yes, I like digital desks when they are appropriate.

Yes I own a DDX3216 and am using it for a live band event on Sunday night, and then from monday for a Musical.

I find it acceptable.

through work I also get a fair bit of exposure to some of the other comparable desks around (I work for a small TV post production company)

Promix 01, 01v, 01v96, 03D, 328, DM1000

and all have their features. and some are better than others at doing certain jobs.

Some like the 01, 01v + 03D are obsolete and so are good buys second hand.

What are you after for a desk?

In my experience, desks are easier to build on the 3216 than on some of the other desks.

I would say that someone who knows and understands a Promix 01 stands more chance of getting a better result out of the desk than someone inexperienced with a DM1000.

If you liked the look of the desk and liked using it then it sounds like it is the right desk for you at the moment.

James

Thanks all - forgot to search the blue room first! (as usual)

What are you after for a desk?

I don't do any really big events, but things like musicals for the two local schools to home - ~10 radio mics plus a 5 piece band

Christian gigs, approx 19 mics, plus some CD/Md playback

Some small rock gigs.

I just feel that being able to loose most of my outboard rack save some graphic eqs and speaker management system alone makes it worthwhile - and I really liked the way you can work the aux sends and fx sends off the faders.

Think I'll get one

Thanks again all

and I really liked the way you can work the aux sends and fx sends off the faders

Are you sure you can?

If so then what version of software are you running I only know of options to run aux and FX off the rotary encoders on the 3216,

I assume you are not mistaking it for the 01v which looks similar and where you do mix auxes off the faders?

http://img.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/thumbnail/631225.t.jpg

01v

http://www.oulunmusiikkitalo.fi/01vfront.jpg

James

If you do a Google on the alt.audio.pro.live-sound news group, you'll find a lot of discussion of the DDX3216, 99% of which is extremely positive. Even a number of former "gear snobs" are now enthusiastic....

Bob

I've noticed the change in feeling at AAPLS towards behringer recently.

However it is also curious to not how many of the behringer enthusiasts are also behringer dealers.

James

and I really liked the way you can work the aux sends and fx sends off the faders

Are you sure you can?

The way I explained myself wasn't brilliant. Sorry.

Erm, well, I mean the way that at the top there are four buttons to assign the faders to stuff, channels 1-16, channels 17-32, and two others (forget what they are called), one of which allows you to control the level of the aux and fx sends and returns via the faders - thats what I'm talking about, after being used to controlling aux/fx levels on pots. Sorry for the confusion

John

John

I see what you mean.

You know on the 3216 as you select different sections (eq/phase/fx/aux/comp/etc...) you can control them from the encoder pots. If you ues one of the Yamaha range the focus transfers to the faders (you literaly end up with a seperate mix for each aux) which led to me misunderstanding what you were saying.

Good Luck

James

Archived