Yamaha O2R96

Doris

Feedback, please, oh Oracles. Looking to buy a new sound desk to replace our Yamaha PM1200 (and not before it's time, my lad) and was considering a Yammy O2R96. Live and pre-recorded (MD CD HD) capability + ease of operation are top'o'th'list. Any repeatable experiences users have had would be gainfully employed during "make-y'-mind-up" time. Had a gander at the O2R and the O3D (one or other at Coventry Belgrade, I think) not very long after they first became available (98/99?) and was reasonably impressed then; wanted to know if user experience rates this up-grade as a genuine step forward, or is it just, "Life, Jim....." ? :D

The 02R96 is a good board, however I would ask the question, what do you want out of your new sound board??, If you really want ease of operation then you can't beat a good old fashioned analogue desk. I have a show out at the monent that after having got through two 02R's is now running on an analogue Crest X4 instead. The other real problem that I have with 02R's and the like is the lack of a Matrix on the output, they say that they have 8 busses and 8 Aux's (Which can be done if you buy the additional output card for another couple of hundred quid) but the busses are only an on or off control which is not much use in the real world. While £7000 (List price) for an 02R96 is a lot cheaper than the £175,000 you would need for a 56 channel Cadac, I feel that you could spend the money better elsewhere. If you let me know your requirements then I might be able to suggest some other alternatives, B) Peter R. :D

doris,

I read your post here and on the ABTT site and I am reminded of discussions some time last year on the same subject.

my input was then that I have two Spirit by soundcraft 324Live's in my venue and they work very well in the whole analogue/digital crossover thing.

we do ocassionally take the desk out of the smaller space and replace it with an FX8 for v.inexperienced op's, but when someone who has seen a desk before comes in then they have no probs with the 324.

all desk details are on the spirit website and further anecdotes by PM if required.

and good luck with your new job and desk

ste

The O2R96 is a nice board, but is vastly changed from the O2R. With the new 'display' buttons anything can be brought instantly to view, and the hardware interface is now much easier to use.

As digital boards go, its about as nice as they get in that price bracket (Or maybe the Soundcraft 328 series) but it all depends on what you need. For instant alterations (the big fall down of digital technology) its great, and its memory and recall features are very easy to use (Mem Up, Mem Down, Recall, Save)

Like it.

Archived