Lavalier Mics

AV Doug

Hi Guys,

I've looked through the forum and found a few similar threads but I think I'm looking at this from a different angle. I'm looking for some laveliers for my new Shure UHF-R+ wireless mic systems. Just now we have a combination of Shure WL183, WL50, Sennheiser MKE-2 and DPA 4066 headmics. The 4066's are getting kept, and the WL183's will be used in the short term while I choose the best capsules to go for.

Have been looking at the DPA 4060, Shure WL50 and Sennheiser MKE-2, are there any others that people can recommend, of a similar elk, or any preferences that anyone has based on the list above?

As a note, they will be used mostly in a corporate environment.

Any thoughts or advice as ever is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Have been looking at the DPA 4060, Shure WL50 and Sennheiser MKE-2, are there any others that people can recommend, of a similar elk, or any preferences that anyone has based on the list above?

I assume that by "of a similar elk" you mean premium mics at the "deer" end of the market? (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Seriously, the missing manufacturer from your shortlist is Countryman--for lavs they make the B3 or, if you want something really tiny, the B6. Both are great mics and very useful.

Frankly, on your list, I'd be happy with the MKE2, the DPA or the Countryman. All are good sounding workhorses and I might go with the best deal since all are more than acceptable.

However, just to mention, there is a second school of thought that goes for buying super cheap mics of the sort available from CPC and treating the capsule as a consumable. No, the CPC specials don't sound as good as the top line stuff but with a bit of EQ they're acceptable--and you can buy 20 or 30 for the cost of one premium mic. I don't have a link to hand but I wager somebody will be along with one soon.

Given my druthers, I'd probably go with MKE2 or a B3 for a lav and a DPA headset. However, the economics of the cheapies can be kind of compelling.

Bob

I assume that by "of a similar elk" you mean premium mics at the "deer" end of the market?

Aye, dear is probably the best way to describe them. I have h the CPC and want to avoid them, trying to go for a good sound not just acceptable - I realise that I am opening myself to the flack of "its not the kit that makes a good sound" but with experienced engineers its also helps! I'll check into the courtryman stuff...

Personally, I like the sound of the DPA 4060s (based on the hires I've used them on), but I haven't used any of the others enough to be able to comment on a preference. For day-to-day use on our G2s for am-dram users we tend to stick to the CPC MP33750 (these), as they're cheap to replace so it doesn't matter much if the talent rips the capsules off the cable, smears them full of makeup and hair gunk, or drowns them in sweat. Amateur theatre companies don't tend to argue with a £7 replacement bill, either.

Now for professional singers and corporate events I'm sure supplying something better is worthwile- but I've had the impression for some years that it's not worth going for anything 'mid market'. For instance, the basic Sennheiser ME2 (at around £60) doesn't sound much better than the CPC cheapies, in my opinion. I'm not sure it's at all worth using a £250 lavalier microphone for pure spoken-word applications.

The economics are, as Bobbsy says, compelling.

Out of curiosity- If you're going to spend around £250-£300 on miniature omni lavaliers, and given the rate we seem to get through both cheap and standard ones, I'd want something that's both very durable and repairable. I know the basic Sennheiser capsules aren't repairable, but as I don't own any MKE capsules I have no idea if they're different in that respect.

I'd be checking with each manufacturer as to what exactly their repair and replacement policy is- for instance, if they offer fixed price repairs.

How resistant (and cleanable) are each to the major 'pro' omni lavs (406x, B3, MKE2 platinum/gold) to sweat and gunk? Are there known 'safe' methods of cleaning these? On cheap lave we just wipe with IPA, but that's on the basis that we can afford easily to replace a wrecked one.

Interesting stuff.

Personally I like the 4060. Cardiod can be a big help here to help you get around poor venue acoustics and less than proficient orators.

However, one of my clients has a really tough stage to work on with a very quiet speaker and less than ideal PA positioning. Far and away the best sounding mic we used was Sennheiser MKE40. They are large, so not discreet but they sound fantastic and have very high (for a lav) gain before feedback.

Worth a look when sound quality is the primary goal

Cardiod can be a big help here to help you get around poor venue acoustics and less than proficient orators.

Good point there. For a lot of corporate speaker applications where there is no need for a discreet microphone taped to the cheek, temple or hairline then a larger cardioid lavalier like the MKE40 ought to give you significantly better performance, execially with poor public speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived