Make a theatre cool!

torch1972

I have a production going into the Jermyn Street Theatre during Act3 we want to make the theatre go cold. Its a play so there is no music that can hind the sound of cold air blowers. I hear that the Gate Theatre managed to make their space cold during a show without any of sound to distract the public.

All ideas welcome.

First couple of acts gradually turn the heat up, then dump it to the atmosphere at the appropriate time.

This working does depend on having sufficiently good air handling plant and a good relationship with the building services guy.

Don't forget that the audience will add to the baseline heat load.

Another possibility: run the aircon on the chilly side and use banks of IR floods to warm the audience, turn off the floods, instantly chilly (The aircon will need to deal with the heat from the IR flood bank while it is in use, maybe a big ask). There are IR lamps available for Parcans, but you need long wave IR so there is no glow from the lamps.

It is doable provided you have the financial and power budgets....

Regards, Dan.

As Dmills pointed out. the audience will create alot of heat just by themselves.

Maybe use a direct heat source straight on the audience, and then remove this heat source, on Q, but the room has been chilled slowly by the air con, and the only thing keeping the audience warm are the heaters.

Or maybe something underneath the audience? Dry Ice and small fans maybe?

Hi there

Probably not practical for what you want to achieve, but while hunting for a special effect for a friends nightclub I came across this LINKY

I doubt you would want the fog that goes with it, but they may have something without the fog. Or you could blast the fog into the roof of the auditorium.

Confession time now, I have no idea what the Jermyn Street Theatre is like, so the Ice Cannon may be totally unsuitable.

I just thought I'd post the idea anyway as it may be of interest for future productions :-)

Kind Regards

Damian Jay

Confession time now, I have no idea what the Jermyn Street Theatre is like, so the Ice Cannon may be totally unsuitable.

I just thought I'd post the idea anyway as it may be of interest for future productions :-)

If it helps others when answering this question, Jermyn Street Theatre is a under-100seat studio theatre which, I believe, used to be the staff room for the italian restaurant above (it's a basement space). It's lovely to work in as it is very intimate with seats on 2 sides of a rectangle but the only way to the toilets is to walk acoss the stage! You walk down a flight of stairs to get to the venue and then sit very close to the performers. I love it, but you need to know what you're getting when you book the space!

Archived