Qualifications

Hi all

I am currently looking for a level 3 Technical Theatre qualification. I would quite like it to cover a number of disciplines if possible. If thats not possible then a level 3 in either stage management, lighting design or events management would be fine..... this may not be the correct forum for this but thought I would ask any way.

Thanks

No - it wasn't the right area, so I've moved it here.

The obvious subject would be BTEC Production Arts - the common one for the colleges is the Extended Diploma (which used to be just 'the National Diploma').

You'll have to do some searching as not every college do it by a long way - but the bigger ones who do Performing Arts, do the production version to support the actors, singers and dancers. The qualification usually has a pathway - so Stage Management is one, but often you'll find the bigger colleges have plenty of combinations that will have the things you fancy in them.

BTEC link info

In that case - you'll find plenty of variants - depending on the time you have available - 6/12/18 units worth. That page I linked to is more for centres than students anyway.

If nobody has done BTEC before - the learning curve for the first year is a bit steep for the staff - if just one person has experience, then it's so much easier.

The problem with it of course, is that it needs real productions to work on - hence why it's a natural partner for Performing Arts. If you don't have a full programme of events and productions, please don't consider it - simulations are possible, but the learners need proper, full length, planned events. A few people try to use it as they do with options in A Level - but this is pretty horrible, and the needs of the A Level in terms of performance are too low to make the BTEC fit properly.

I've been involved with BTEC for a long time now and have visited schools and colleges all over the country who have been doing these for a long time - if I can help, drop me a private message, and I'll perhaps be able to answer any questions you might have.

Paul

Archived