10 In 17 Out 2 way Video Switch!

djtom29

Hi Guys!

Video isn't really my thing, however for a show im currently working on we have 16 TFT Computer Monitors and a 32Inch Flat Screen built in to the set. These are to display between 5 and 9 different signals duplicated between the screens (so say laptop output one goes to screens 3, 5 and 18 for example). This isn't a problem! A few simple VGA splits and LOTS of cable will do that. The problem arises with input number 10. Basically I have these screens set playing there 9 power points or what ever, but then need a simple way of pressing one button and ALL 16 TFT's and the 32Inch TV display a live video feed from a camera's "av out" which terminates in a phono. This is were I am stuck. as A simple AV switch wont work, as I need to display the individual inputs most of the show, and switch to the video input 3 times.

I was wondering if anyone has any simple (Cheap) ways of doing this? I was considering making some form of "one button presses 8" bodge of a box, with lots of video switches lined up and some crazy mechanical device that presses all the buttons at once. but thought this may be tricky to build right. I then considered looking in to building a box myself, but cant think were to start! So I have started looking at networking/software solutions but again haven't had much look!

If anyone has any ideas then please share! I really am stuck on this one!

Many Thanks!

Tom

p.s. if anyone needs anything clearing up just let me know and I'll try and explain as best as I can!

Well, you have nine VGA feeds. Thats only 9 x 5 = 45 wires of signal. You just need a two way switch and select either the 9 feeds, or the camera converted to VGA (so camera -> converter -> 9 ways of slit VGA output)

A 45 pole switch? Hat tip to Mr Mac Kerr, see here. Build a 48 pole switch into a box, with a lot of flying leads, and the job's a goodun.

Thats the cheap version.

I could do expensive, which will be a lot less building but more ££££. The ugly way is out as you're using VGA monitors, which (unlike the flat panels) wont do CV in and remote switching...

Just a point of order here, in that when I last used a pile of tellys on stage (many yonks back), I literally used tellys from the junk shop and RF distribution; granted the quality really is shit, but it was adequate for the situation, people didn't need to actually read what was on the screen. Just checking you're not doing more than you need to.

Ive done a system last year, but it was with 8 domestic tvs and involved remotely switching inputs over IR, however if your monitor have both dvi and vga inputs or a second rgbhv input, you should be able to scale the video up, feed it through a da and by turning the da on or off switch the input as the screens will then switch.

another option is to use Kramer Vs 211 switches, these switch vga automatically and can have a remote switch wired up, you will need a prodigious amount of these, distribution amps and cable, It will be cheaper than a 16.16 crosspoint switcher, but not neater.

Also you mention 9 powerpoints.... this implies 9 pcs and to my mind trouble. surely youd be better off using catalyst {or similar} that way you can use it as a solid playback system and by feeding your external camera through that it becomes a simple matter to switch the inputs in catalyst. It might seem the expensive way of doing it, but you loose the laptops and a load if complexity. You will be able to run 8 outputs from a single machine if you use 2 datapath 4 way splits . so 2 machines would be needed, but you could deal with the 32" independantly as its going to have seperate inputs. My advice is connect a display to a solid and reliable source, and make the source do all the work,

fair play to you if you go for the manual switch, but remember that you need 2 times 5 inputs times 9 pluts1 times 9 outputs which is 27 vga sockets . You also will need a prodigious number of Das and cable.

Good luck

I would use a 16x16 Matrix Router (either VGA or RGBHV will do) + a video to VGA upscaler.

Renting this won't break the bank, or get scanning eBay which has a lot of this kind of gear on as people upgrade installations to digital.

Bodging it will cost a lot more than you think and never work very well.

I wouldn't suggest anything as expensive or complex as catalyst as just the rental + operator fee for a single day of catalyst will cost more than buying a second user 16x16 router and upscaler.

Id still use catalyst, the matrix only solves half the problem but leaves what id be most concerned about. Ie 9 different machines all running powerpoint. A media server whether catalyst, hippo etc replaces all that with a neat and tidy solution that you can rely on. someone said somthing above very sensibly about avoiding a bodge and multiple powerpoints is definitely a bodge....

one media server rack vs 9 laptops with a tenth remotely controlling the matrix ? both will work, but in terms of ease of use / reliability / space up its not a contest .

Oh and with a media server you can fade it to black which might be handy or essential depending on your viewpoint. try doing that easily on 9 powerpointing laptops without an octopus and nodding duck to help you.

Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to look in to a video matrix. As far as transition between the sources goes we only actually need a "snap" so things like fade to black are nott essential other than maybe from a LX point of view. I only used powerpoint as an example, the actual video format is yet to be decided on but will probably be some form of "good quality, reliable" media playback on the laptops/pc's

It is only a school show im freelanced in on, so a catalyst seems a bit over the top, however I agree its a much neater more "professional". I would love to get one in to show the kids what they can do, but cant justify it for the budget of the performance. Shame!

Thanks again guys! if anyone thinks of anything else let me know!

one media server rack vs 9 laptops with a tenth remotely controlling the matrix ? both will work, but in terms of ease of use / reliability / space up its not a contest .

Oh and with a media server you can fade it to black which might be handy or essential depending on your viewpoint. try doing that easily on 9 powerpointing laptops without an octopus and nodding duck to help you.

it very much depends on the purpose... If you have 9 presenters with their own powerpoints then recreating the presentations on a mediasever and then devising a control system from 9 clickers will make for a very complex system.

if the purpose is some kind of single presentation across 9 screens then yes a mediaserver of some type will make things much neater.

it very much depends on the purpose... If you have 9 presenters with their own powerpoints then recreating the presentations on a mediasever and then devising a control system from 9 clickers will make for a very complex system.

if the purpose is some kind of single presentation across 9 screens then yes a mediaserver of some type will make things much neater.

I'd be impressed at a corporate presentation where anything is understandable with 9 presenters each with their own PowerPoints simultaneously! And if you are using PowerPoint style content, most media servers manage a graphics in!

I'd be impressed at a corporate presentation where anything is understandable with 9 presenters each with their own PowerPoints simultaneously! And if you are using PowerPoint style content, most media servers manage a graphics in!

9 separate rooms / areas? with a desire to switch to a common source for holding slides.

most media servers manage A graphics in - ie 1.

Media servers are great products but they don't always make the most sense. They are never the most affordable option, but do make seamless shows with a single operator much easier.

Archived