Help me find a script for a technical workshop

agermich

Hello All

I am in need of some help to find a script. At the start of Feb I will be running our annual backstage pass technical taster course, It's a 2 week course where we run a load of different workshops in backstage skills for a group of 10 local young people aged 18-25 who all have little to no exprience of technical theatre. At the end of our 2 weeks we put together a "mini production" and this is where I need some help. Basically we spend half a day getting together design ideas and gathering materials then half a day "Fitting-up" and then "tech" the show with 2 actors (Scripts in hand!). I've never quite managed to find the right piece of script that will allow us to compress a whole fit-up and tech week into a day and a half (and our production department like a challenge!) so I really need some suggestions for a short play or extract from a play that fits the following criteria:

- Running time of around 10-15 minutes

- Maximum cast size of 2

- Potential for an interesting lighting design

- Potential for sound effects and recorded music cues

- Potential for a basic set that could be knocked together with stuff that we have on site

- A scene change would be nice

- Lots of cues for the dsm to call

- Props for the ASM to source

- Costume that could be sourced or made quickly

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated :-)

Mike Ager

How about an extract from "Two"?

It's a cast of two, who play all the parts between them. Set in a pub so you need a bar plus chairs & tables etc. There's potential to be as creative as you want with the lighting - some people might just do a full up / full down but the changes of characters / moods lends itself to some more options. The last time I did it I was triggering sounds from a sampler via a keyboard - the intro is very hectic and we wanted till opening / closing sound effects (amongst others) which are used a LOT.

It's unlikely an off-the-shelf script, especially if you just use an excerpt will have all the content you need to demonstrate what they have been taught - so just write one yourself designed to feature all the triggers! It's not being judged on dramatic or artistic skills, so it's just dialogue and action. If you can't do it, tell us what you'd like the script to contain and maybe we can sort something?

I used to use Pinter's The Applicant a lot in this kind of work. It has been published a number of times in script collections. No scene change as far as I can recall though but it ticks most of the other boxes.

Taking Paul's suggestion I once knocked up a version of Everyman specifically for this activity too plus a terrible pastiche Beckett two-hander called the Dustbin which I found far too easy to write.

"A Life In Theatre" by David Mamet, is a 2 hander that has a lot of short scenes that mostly swop between a dressing room and quick moments on 'stage'. The whole play is around 55mins. It has a lot of props and costume quick changes, scene changes and various SFX and LX cues over a short period.

Archived