Odd DMX problem

Pattern123

OK, I have a problem with DMX that I haven't come across before, I assume it is cable related, but have 'got round' it for the event we have on tonight. Just thought I'd run it by some more DMX knowledgeble people before I try and find the fault tomorrow.

I have 6 Smartmacs on a basic daisy chain of DMX going to two units on one bar then four on another bar. The first three in the chain are showing no DMX being recieved with no blue led showing, the last three are all functioning fine. I have a DMX terminator in the last unit. There is a point where some slack DMX cable is in a coil taped up behind a hot radiator - but this has never been a problem before. It is possible that one of the cables has had a ladder or stack of chairs on top of it at some point, so I'm guessing that is where the problem lies?

This couldn't be a double reversal could it? Where the DMX data pins have been reversed from the desk and then again between the third and fourth light?

It might have been interesting to swap intermediate cables to find if the fault moved about.

Definitely check all the cables for polarity and continuity though.

That could be an answer, but I think it's highly unlikely, this rig has been up since before Christmas and has been working fine. I can see that a cable might have been damaged in one place - but not one cable at ground level and one up in the air!

Archived