324 LIVE update

colray

Hi everyone. been reading for a little while and was not going to go live but then something came up.

It's this. DM music are selling the sound craft 324 live at £1099 inc vat. I got curious and phoned around. Turnkey, Digital Village and other so called leaders said the 324 had been superceeded. AND anyway there are better desks around.

I phoned Soundcraft to ask 2 questions. What had replaced the 324 and what about the PSU problems.

THey said, "as in BEN tech rep" that the 324 was the current model and the PSU's that are BS11 issue 8 had resolved the problems. No plans to end 324 live. The change had been the introduction of the 328XD over the 328.

The Question I have is this. Taking on board the new PSU's what are peoples Negative experiences of this desk.

BTW the US price is £1600 the best UK price outside of DM is £2699.

This is for just the desk and not for the add on 8 way I/p boxes.

Thanks

BTW great idea this PHP based spell checker!!

Similar experiences here with Turnkey. I bought a Yamaha digital mixer back in August....according to Turnkey there were none in the country and the earliest I could get it anywhere would be October.

Strangely enough, other places were able to obtain the mixer I wanted on a couple of days notice...and at a better price to Turnkey.

As for the 324, I've mixed a number of shows on them and quite like the board. The user interface isn't quite up to the modern Yammys, but was certainly a major advance (for live at least) on other desk on the market when it was released. At the price you've been offered it sounds a pretty good deal.

A couple of caveats: First, is the board for personal use, or will other people have to use it. If the latter, a minor concern would be that, while there are lots of sound types who now know the Yamaha method of working, a lot fewer know the 324.

Second, if you think you'll need extra mic inputs now or in the future, you should price out these additions. Using an MY16AT and Behringer ADA8000s it's pretty cheap to add inputs to Yamaha boards (assuming you find the Behringer ADA adequate...which I do). I can be more costly to add inputs to the Soundcraft.

Just checked a 4 year old price list btw...the Soundcraft list back then was over £3700 incl. VAT!

;)

Bob

update to the update.

Talked yesterday to the duty sales manager at Soundcraft.

They terminated construction of the 324 last week and DM bought the remaining stock!

328sd they project for another year.

add on's for another year.

Would not say what was replacing the 324 but seemed to indicate that there is something on way.

Archived