how do I make an Air cannon?

Damian Jay

Hello everyone, and happy New Year,

Ok, a bit of an odd thing to ask but I'm fairly sure I have this in the right topic.

A very brief description of what I am trying to achieve is this :-

During my show, I introduce to the audience the worlds most fearless Raccoon - Rocky, the animal version of the human cannonball. (Please not this is a puppet and NOT a live animal)

After announcing that Rocky will be loaded into the cannon tail first, he will be fired through the air passing through the Burining Ring of fire (again NOT real fire, but cardboard 'flames' glued to a hoop)

and land safely in the safety net.

What I actually want to happen is when the cannon is fired a load of bits fur are fired over the stage, making it look like Roaky has been blown to bits. He will be found later on safe and sound back in his box.

The puppet is approx 1 foot in length and 5 inches in diameter.

I am not too worried about how this will look as the workings can be hidden inside the finished cannon prop. However it will need to be lightweight, no trailing cables or wires and be re-useable.

Any advice on how to go about building this air cannon is greatly appriciated.

I used to have a hand held CO2 powered confetti jetta which worked off a soda steam cannister which is where my idea came from. I stll have this but cant find suitable replacement 'o' rings anymore.

Kind Regards

Damian

I would cheat and get a confetti cannon. You can get pneumatic cannons which don't use electric actuators.

Have a look at CO2 hand-cannons

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0020/8772/products/20_inch_medium.jpg?1293042062

mount a couple of them around the opening to the cannon, tie the pull strings to a single string out the back of the cannon, load with some massacred fur. You would reload by putting in new CO2 bulbs.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the advice :-)

Im in the middle of putting the plans together, however it may take a while as gigs keep comming in and getting in the way of the building ** laughs out loud **.

Hopefully I will get it finished soon enough tho.

Thank you once again

Kind Regards

Damian Jay

Archived