DVCPro AJ-D750 problem

Roderick

I recently acquired a Panasonic AJ-D750 to transfer some archival footage for a dance company.

The machine works great but has one weird problem.

If I use a 'medium' size tape (66 minutes) I can record without any problems, but if I use a 'large' tape (126 minutes) it goes into 'record inhibit' mode and the 'DV' indicator lights up.

Somehow it thinks the tape is a DVCam tape, which it can play back but can't record on.

Has anyone come across this problem and found a solution?

I could take the machine to a Panasonic service place, but if there is a simple(ish) solution I'd like to see if I can fix this myself. Just because!

Just for future reference.

Still not quite sure why, but having reset all menu settings back to 'factory', the problem has gone away.

I would be curious to learn which actual setting would force large tapes to be seen as DV rather than DVCPro, but all is good now!

Perhaps something to do with the chip - was the tape chip fitted. Maybe the previous user had recorded corrupt data, or just data your system read as 'wrong format' - maybe doing the reset just wiped it? Just a guess, but a possibility with this system.

About 10 years ago I worked for a company that had some D750s that we used mainly for playback of any DV format (DV, DVCam and Pro) but occasional recordings if a client wanted something in that format.

I vaguely recall that if we did a bunch of consumer DV playback the software would sometimes "stick" on thinking it had the consumer tapes and we had to do a reset like the one you mention. I don't recall it being specific to the large tapes (memories are getting hazy) but it could just be a Panasonic glitch.

Bob

Archived